Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#407391 Sep 16th, 2020 at 06:22 PM
Mike T Offline OP
OP Offline
I have what I think are Shasta Daisies. The main plant is in good shape and getting ready to bloom (see Shasta Daisy Main, attached).

The question I have is about a little guy that broke off when I was weeding. He had a short root so I threw him in a pot to see if he would make it. Indeed, he has hung on for about a month now (see Shasta Daisy Head and Shasta Daisy Stalk, also hopefully attached). He's a little skinny but appears to be trying to grow some new leaves.

My question is, what do I do with him for the winter? Bring him inside? Plant him? I'm afraid the pot will freeze in the winter and he'll just die. The deer eat so many of my plants to I try to help keep the ones I can. I'm appreciative of any advice. I'm in Northeast PA.

Thanks!

shasta daisy main.jpg (139.76 KB, 19 downloads)
shasta stalk head.jpg (97.01 KB, 19 downloads)
shasta stalk.jpg (168.06 KB, 19 downloads)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My shasta daisys don't look like that but I'm in the South so I leave the shastas in the ground outside all year. Do your shastas overwinter in the ground. If so, I'd say you have a better chance of planting it in a protected place outside and keep it covered with leaves or straw or pine needles. Unless you have a sunroom or get a lot of sun through your windows, I don't think it will make it through the winter inside.

Mike T Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the response. I'll find out for sure what they are here in a bit, they're starting to bloom. The main plant has definitely survived winters outside where it's currently planted.

I noticed today that the main stem of the little guy has many tiny little buds growing along the stem. Would hate to lose him if he wants to grow.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
If it has buds then it is growing...you can plant it in the ground.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image