Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sunflowers #406188 Jun 7th, 2020 at 02:53 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Showers for today...the weeds are loving this wet weather.

Do any of you have any opinions on eaves trough's? We are going to have to put some up this year...to stop the splashing from entering the bottom of our siding and causing water damage. cry

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #406189 Jun 7th, 2020 at 06:48 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We call them rain gutters, here. I looked it up on google to make sure.
I have them down two sides of my house, and if, properly installed, they are extremely helpful. In a single story house, they are easy to maintain. I don't know anything about them in snowy areas. Other than the places I lived in had them.
I use paving stones below the downspouts to mitigate the problems of standing water.
If poorly installed they can make your leaking problem worse. And if they get clogged with leaves and things also.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #406190 Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:32 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
SO HELP ME I HATE THIS TABLET!!!!!!! I HAD A HUGE POST TYPED OUT AND WAS JUST ADDING THE LAST BIT ABOUT GUTTERS, LEAD GUARDS, AND DOWN SPOUTS..AND ALEXA CAME ON, WHY, I DO NOT KNOW AND MY WHOLE POST DISAPPEARED.

I am not adding it back...Sunny do a lot of reasearch. All houses here have rain gutters with downspouts, and many have leaf guards. Saves having to clean the gutters out 1 to 2 times a year. Sadly we do not have them.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Sunflowers #406192 Jun 7th, 2020 at 11:29 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
We have gutters with downspouts and leaf guard. Last month had a section replaced that was hit by a tree.

Junie, I've never tried that method either. I use landscape fabric. It's cheap and works great BUT if it gets a hole in it or comes apart at any point the weeds love it so I still have to pull a little grass once in a while.

Sunflowers #406193 Jun 7th, 2020 at 12:07 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks, I have no trees close to my house so I have no worry about leaves. I am thinking that with the snow we will need the metal ones. I called a few companies but each place just said to leave a message and they'd call back....I can just imagine the scary price.

Sunflowers #406195 Jun 7th, 2020 at 03:58 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't know what the prices may be but mostly for the labor. Mine were all put up by John and have needed to be redone as the roof needed repair. But the old ones were reused even then. And they were used to start with. I think from people who were updating to poly ones. I don't like the poly. If you look at you tube, rain gutters a million videos pop up on what you need and how-to's.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sunflowers #406197 Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:57 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sunflowers #406200 Jun 8th, 2020 at 03:38 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Thanks Tina. The reason we want to hire a company is that they make them on site with a bending machine so it is made all in one piece with no connections. The connections are what breaks here in Winter.

Showers here for the morning, its a good day for cleaning and mopping then I guess.

Sunflowers #406201 Jun 8th, 2020 at 06:48 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Sounds like a plan, Sunny.
Good morning! Drinking my coffee here.
Rod has 2 Drs. Appts. today. Just check ups...and then We get to go to Valarie's for dinner. I am excited. I don't mind cooking so much but I dislike the clean up.

________

Sunflowers #406204 Jun 8th, 2020 at 07:20 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Sunny, that's what they did for us. A branch had fallen and dented a section so I thought they could just replace a section but they said no. They make them to fit without a seam so we didn't have to have the whole house done but we did have to have one side replaced. They also added a downspout, which he said, should have been added to start with.

I'm trying to get Shelley to meet us at a shop in Monroe today. She's been hold up for so long she's starting to act crazy.

Bestofour #406205 Jun 8th, 2020 at 10:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yay for trips to the store ! I hope Shelley says yes to it !

________

Sunflowers #406206 Jun 8th, 2020 at 11:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I'd say yes.

The next time DH has a day off from work I am going. First to the bank to set up phone banking, then to buy the grands b-day gifts for July and August. Then I am hitting up a large grocery chain and stocking up on a few months of supplies. I'll smother myself in hand sanitizer if I have to. lol

I am running low on everything. DD said everything she orders online through Walmart is being cancelled after ordering, due to no stock....she said it is ridiculous. The prices are rising as well, it is $10-$12 a pound for ground beef. I have no reason why, there is plenty of cattle in our own province...they aren't being imported. Cans of tomato soup that were .69 cents are now $2....and on and on.

Sunflowers #406207 Jun 8th, 2020 at 12:30 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Valarie said that if you order food online with Sam's Club ( bulk Wal-Mart) and they say they don't have an item, if you go into the store it may well be there, perhaps that is going on with DD. I will say, Wal-Mart told me they had 2 of my items then upon pick up said they were out of stock. I DO want to grocery shop myself As well. But not yet !

As far as my stock goes, I have started to add extras when we order food once a week. In the end I will be restocked with extras for the fall/winter...for if this should happen again.

I looked at buying ground beef at Wal-Mart. For 2.25 pounds it was a few cents under $12.00. I didn't order it. I do not need hamburgers that bad. The local meat I buy is frozen when you buy it, so no making burgers up ahead of time with it. Oh well

________

Sunflowers #406210 Jun 8th, 2020 at 02:36 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's getting too expensive here to buy from my local grocery store....his prices have more than tripled. My SIL said the prices have raised a few cents in town but not even close to anything here. She said it might have cost her an extra $10 for $200 worth, here it costs an extra $300 for $200 worth. I was shocked on my last trip there....and came home with just a few necessities.

Sunflowers #406211 Jun 8th, 2020 at 04:27 PM
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi all,
Sunny sounds like you have price gouging going on, prices here have gone up some but not that much. so glad we stocked our freezers early.. and hubby goes out and replaces perishables and what not every couple weeks, He is going a little cabin fever crazy even though he goes out once in a while. I haven't been out in 2 months except to get lab work and that was one in one out with masks on... when it first started.. they are opening stuff here but it is bad again already... so we are planning on the rest of the yr or longer being in..
He decided to reorganize the storage shed this last week or so.. put shelving up and then decided he needed to seal and paint the floor in it today,, so emptied the floor today, will seal early tomorrow and paint it...he isn't used to being idle for to long and this is driving he a little nuts... if it keeps up I will start him painting the inside of the house and he hates painting... we have 12 ft ceiling in some rooms and he hates ladders... but it would keep him busy.... at least weather this week is cooperating … only hitting 90'si in the afternoons... so he won't be to hot in the mornings to paint...

I spent yesterday cleaning up my office.. really got to be better about filing stuff and not letting it pile up... took forever but it's done now.. I really need to hem light blocking curtain and get them hung in here.. it's the room one of the grands likes to sleep in on and airbed and it gets a lot of light even with blinds in the window... maybe will dig out machine again and do that today... I get tired of reading all the time, just not enough to keep me really busy .. or what I can do when my body decides to go on strike and hurt all the time.. really don't like to live on Tylenol but have been lately.. arthritis is hitting my hands more all the time.. gets really frustrating and breaking my ankle sure didn't help... and then other days I am just fine , doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well off to sew maybe.. have to measure and cut of about a foot of curtain to fit window first..

Stay well!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Sunflowers #406212 Jun 8th, 2020 at 05:25 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm so glad to see you looking forward, all of you. I think we are in this for the long haul, too. If our numbers remain stable, I'll go out ti the restaurant supply place and see if I can get what I need. This month. Maybe again during the summer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #406213 Jun 8th, 2020 at 09:13 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Yes I think we all are adjusting. Not liking the adjusting but doing it just the same.

We had a nice evening at Valarie's tonight She made us supper and she also made me a fantastic homemade white cake with cream cheese/whipped cream icing that had strawberries in it.

The kids were adorable...the hugs were great and if Cora had a nickel for every time that she whispered " surprise" to me, she would be a wealthy child.

Goodnight to you all!

________

Sunflowers #406214 Jun 8th, 2020 at 10:40 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Aww, I'm glad you had a wonderful B-day and got to spend it with your grands, Carol. Happy birthday! Sweet dreams.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sunflowers #406215 Jun 9th, 2020 at 04:17 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Yay for a wonderful birthday Junie kissie

Tina, I am preparing myself for this going on for quite a long time. I wish I had the room to stockpile a bit more...small houses were not made for such things.

Sheri, rest when you can...have you ever tried 'Advil Arthritis' or 'Tylenol Arthritis' meds? They are supposed to work a lot better than regular Tylenol. I hope your DH learns to love painting...12 ft ceilings are a lot of work lol

We had a heavy frost this morning. People will not learn, many have planted their seedlings already....and there are no more to be found.

Sunflowers #406216 Jun 9th, 2020 at 09:40 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thank you all for the Birthday wishes! It was nice.
Why even my youngest DD, who has yet to wish us Happy Anniversary, sent me a Christmas list...( She knows I like them early but rarely gives me one at all or wait a until I have bought her Christmas.)..Then a few minutes later she sent me a message wishing me a Happy Birthday !

Yes, it was a good day. I thank you all for making it even better.

________

Sunflowers #406217 Jun 9th, 2020 at 10:09 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Whatever happened to our sidebar calendar?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sunflowers #406218 Jun 9th, 2020 at 03:19 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmmm, not sure Tina.

I tried to start my weed trimmer...the pull rope is now hanging out(it didn't start either)and won't go back in. I hope it is just the spring that needs to be recoiled....I'll deal with it tomorrow. I wonder what it's like to have something go right? badday

Sunflowers #406219 Jun 9th, 2020 at 05:34 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
When you ever find out what it is like to have something go right, be sure to hold a seminar so you can teach us all what that is like. winky

It sure storms here a lot.

About the sidebar calendar..I will read around..perhaps in the site news....When I go d out something, I will let you all know.

Last edited by JunieGirl; Jun 9th, 2020 at 05:55 PM.

________

Sunflowers #406221 Jun 9th, 2020 at 08:09 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
What is the sidebar calendar?

I tried to use my little tiller, wouldn't work, went to get my little chainsaw, can't find it and Johnny says he didn't take it which I saw him do, if the pressure washer doesn't work I'm giving up.

Sunflowers #406223 Jun 9th, 2020 at 10:07 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The calendar used to be in the sidebar every month. If I hovered over it, I could see every member birthday for that date. I would check it out but most often forgot before their day arrived. But it wasn't that much of a surprise.
I am turning 70 this year. I think we'll still be in SIP (shelter in place) then I'll probably order food in for it. That sounds fun and an interesting way to celebrate.
Sweet dreams all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #406224 Jun 10th, 2020 at 12:06 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I still have not investigated. I will tomorrow after my appt.
I just turned 68 yesterday, as long as we are saying.
Sleep well, Tina.

________

Sunflowers #406226 Jun 10th, 2020 at 04:17 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It was just a stuck spring...but this trimmer has seen better days. I can see the need for a new one by next year.

We are in need of a new coffeehouse. Tag, you're it grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image