Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#392549 May 22nd, 2016 at 01:42 AM
Amadeo Offline OP
OP Offline
I've recently posted a thread with a question about Peace Lilly repotting. And advice given to me by all the people were very helpful. But I have one more question now, finally coming to the decision of planting my Peace Lilly in just normal compost mix I bought one from Homebase, of which I'm attaching pictures below:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

However now I'm in doubt whether I bought the right one. It says on it that it contain plant food already, and when I came back home from the shop I recalled that Peace lillies needs to be fertilised about 1 time per 3 months, so I'm a bit worrying that if this compost having plant food in it already then each week that I'm watering the Lilly it will be released, and I worry if this is right? I also want to repot Parlour Palm and Dragon Tree Dracaena 'Golden Coast' Lindii with it, and also worrying whether it will be right to use it for those plants and whether it won't make them ill and kill them eventually? Would be nice to get some advice, if someone knows what would be the best for me to do? prayers

Amadeo #392569 May 23rd, 2016 at 02:12 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Either of those will work for anything. They won't kill your plants.

Bestofour #392585 May 24th, 2016 at 05:39 AM
Amadeo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Either of those will work for anything. They won't kill your plants.

According to my research made on the internet, potting soil that contain fertilizer which will be released during prolong period of time isn't suitable for the Peace lillies, because it will result in them being overfed and their blooms tinted brown. Because Peace lillies should be fed by fertilizer only each 8 weeks this potting soil isn't good for them, this is why I exchanged it for the one that contain fertilizer which will be released only for 6 weeks, so that after that I will be able to feed them by liquid separate fertilizer only when they will require this.

Amadeo #392611 May 26th, 2016 at 12:38 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Well live and learn. I'm sure you can tell I just do my own thing which isn't at all technical. I don't know if the Miracle Grow I buy has fertilizer or not. I'll have to look next time I buy some. When I repot and need dirt I just grab a bag and so far so good. Good luck with yours.

Amadeo #410816 Dec 29th, 2021 at 03:59 PM
The main thing is that the compost used in the soil is very mature. Mature compost is dark, homogeneous, smells good. At this stage, the compost may still differ, for example, eggshells and pieces of twigs. They do not interfere with the use of compost. If you want clean compost, for example, for distribution on the lawn surface, sift large parts of the compost using a sieve with a cell size of about 10 mm and put the filtered waste back into the compost. Now my plants feel better.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image