by Sunflowers
Sunflowers
All fresh and new.....coffee is on.

I am sitting here watching snow/sleet fall. bigshock
Liked Replies
#405926 May 17th a 03:28 AM
by Tina
Tina
I want to talk about something I'm worried about. States are opening too early. A bunch of people are going back to work. The stock market is getting back at least on it's toes. The economy is still tanked though. The unemployment rates are still dropping.
Even if we don't get a bump in the numbers of covid cases just from opening up (which we will), there is a second wave on the horizon for the fall. The experts are predicting. Like the Spanish flu of 1918, it is expected to hit harder.
I am expecting our supply chain to be badly disrupted, worse than it has been. More than it has been. I expect us to have a very depression-like event, if not an actual Depression.
My suggestion to all is to prepare for that eventuality. Get food now while it is still available. I know that things have gone up, meat in particular. I know that our stores still have a hard time getting in paper goods, dry beans, rice and pasta, etc. But if you can get it, do.
I would really hate to see any of my friends suffering any lack of needed things. There is no better time.
1 member likes this
#405937 May 18th a 12:27 AM
by Sunflowers
Sunflowers
I remember the elders talking about the booklets with stamps in them that allowed them a certain amount of necessities and no more. I can see it happening again.
1 member likes this
#405936 May 17th a 11:02 PM
by JunieGirl
JunieGirl
Thanks, Sunny. I will look it up.

Yes about living on a farm even if it is a small one. I know there are many benefits.
My mom lived in a farm during the " Great Depression". They were much better off than people that lived " in town"...I am happy for you, Sunny...I wish we still lived on our little 5 acres back in Illinois.

Extra potatoes...yay for you !..potatoes keep well if stored in a single layer not touching.
1 member likes this
#405935 May 17th a 09:03 PM
by Sunflowers
Sunflowers
Junie, you can get books on the great Depression that has a lot of recipes and home remedies in it...and what they used to substitute. Just do a search on a bookstore site thumbup

As much as I complain about the work in a hobby farm....there are many people who wish they were in our shoes at the moment. I am so thankful that I have always been a frugal person.

I hand tilled my garden today(meaning I spent hours turning ground with a shovel), I'll rake it out tomorrow....got to get it ready to put the potatoes in, in a few weeks. With the addition I added this year, I can get in an extra row of potatoes.
1 member likes this
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image