Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99517 Jul 29th, 2007 at 07:57 AM
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
My strapeliad huernia/carrion flower from Diane has bloomed for me.
flowers/succulants/July282007strapeliadhuerniacarrionp.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
flower
flowers/succulants/July272007strapeliadhuerniacarrionf.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I had a different one at one time.a gigantea(starfish cacti) its flowers DID smell when blooming.its stems are velvety and thicker than huernia.and like it dry,no moist...dry.I drowned it to death.I found someones page who grows/finds quiet a bit of them(and other stuff too epis,passionflowers ect.)

http://www.kammlott.net/index.html

I'm going to leave mine in that white basket,but may try getting it out to put in a hanger.Ursula says mine is getting good nutrients but need a brighter spot.My stems are long cause is shaded and they are leggy(leggy?I thought it looked good......)I guess mine should have more of the segments growing off the stems and don't cause is shaded more.so will give it gradually more lighting& will keep it dry this winter and above 50.

Here is a post from epi forums and it has photos& links and lots of info on these.
http://www.epiforums.com/showthread.php?t=979&page=1&pp=10

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #99973 Jul 30th, 2007 at 08:18 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Beautiful! And thanks for the links. I love growing these plants. I have several Huernia and just last year got my first orbia and caralluma, both of which are too small to bloom yet, but the orbia is trying hard to overcome that. Maybe next year it'll flower. I had a horrible eruption of mealies in the H. Zebrina this spring and had to take the poor thing appart, spray, and repot what survived. No flowers this year on that one! Try an H. Loesneriana if you get a chance (I got mine from Bob Smoley's Garden World. I got a mislabeled Occulata from him, too. It's really an Occulta, very different, not what I wanted). The Loesneriana has yellow flowers, and more of them than I've ever seen on any huernia.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I seen a purpleish succulat I liked they showed no photo.I'll check out bob smoleys.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #100201 Jul 30th, 2007 at 01:28 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
clap I'm glad it bloomed for ya Njoynit! thumbup Hmmmmm No buds on my epi yet BUt I don't think it did last year untill September.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
500 Posts
500 Posts
Beware of Bob Smoley. I have gotten some very good plants from him, some mislabled plants, and at least a third of what he offers he doesn't actually have. But, if you e-mail first asking before you place an order or send money, you are less likely to be disappointed.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Thats good to know,but they do have plant collections I seen.I liked the yellow flowered occulata.
I've got no more flowers for now and they are enjoying the rain right now.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image