Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99871 Jul 30th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
We bought it last fall - we put it in a sunny spot, surrounded the root with peat moss, just like the instructions online said - it even gave a few blooms before the winter set in.

The problem?

NO GROWTH! And nothing but a few leaves on it.

We've been told it grows slowly, but no growth at all? I don't understand that.

Any ideas?

(I am tempted to hawk it up, put it in a large pot, and set it somewhere else to see what it does - then if there's nothing doing, cut it back, put it in a cool dark place for the winter, like you do with other plants)

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Carly #99920 Jul 30th, 2007 at 07:02 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
flowers/July272007006.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I will say they do grow slow...seedlings too.They seem to start out later as well..for me and I live way south seems to take forever to flower.Mines in part shade,but that is well for me as we get very hot and don't do well in full sun this far south.I have a 1 year seedling thats 3 inches tall with 5 leaves...so I understand how you feel.I think I have got 1 whole leaf since april.I can tell you the day I GOT the leaf...the 26th.

I have some canadian friends.Niki is ontario.she asked where you bought it and if you bought tree form or shrub form(I didn't even know they sold ya'll both)Nikis co workers mom lives Toronto.she bought one last year and it has leafed out in the bottom of plant but notheing up top,but has pea sized buds on lower 3 branches.niki said if got at a reputable place they may let you exchange it.she does a stake in ground with evergreen branches to block wind& if weather gets bad will use burlap.she tilled compost in an area 4 ft around where tree is.and if you still have no new sprouts from the wood stems you can trim the tips a bit and when they leaf out will be more fuller.they bloom on new wood.you can also scratch the branches bark and see if green underneath.They should be in full leaf by time the peoneys are out(which I can't even grow cause am too hot)unless are late bloomers.The longer your ROS is in the ground the sooner it will start to get its leaves in the spring.Niki says to send to you to sheridans nursery.
Hope I was some help.I did her trim the tips over the winter(I'm mild climate) and it made for a fuller plant.I'm doing my tree next year.Love my flowered blooming stem up top?Niki taught me that!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image