Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98548 Jul 28th, 2007 at 06:58 AM
Azdyl Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Folks, I am a new member hoping that someone can help me to revive my ailing Jade plant.

It is about 27 inches across and 26 inches high, and until I moved house a month ago it was thriving.

Now....it seems to be dying slowly - leaf by leaf....!!! They are turning a yellowish colour - the edge of the yellowing goes black, and this blackness spreads inwards. I have been removing the affected leaves in case it is a pest of some sort, and I have sprayed with bug killer. But it is still happening.

I have never had a problem with the plant before. Previously, It lived in my south facing utility room - along with lots of other Jade Plants. It was a soft water area in Wales.

I have moved to southern England. Unfortunately, because of space, I could not bring all the other Jade plants with me, so I shall be verey sad if I lose it.

I placed it in the garden at first, near the south facing house wall. I had not repotted it for a couple of years, so repotted it. This did not improve the plant so I brought it indoors......but it is still a very poorly plant.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it, and how I can save it.

Whilst outdoors it did get rather a soaking......could this be a problem. Although I have not watered it since I repotted.

HELP PLEASE.

Azdyl - Essex. England.

Last edited by Azdyl; Jul 28th, 2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: mispelt words
Azdyl #99394 Jul 29th, 2007 at 04:03 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Jades resent change and typically go into shock when moved around. This sounds like your jade's problem. Pick the place you want it to be, where it won't need to be moved at all, and just leave it there. It's been moved to a new environment, outdoors, indoors, new pot; that's a lot for it to go through, and it's telling you so. But, jades are tough, it'll recover; it'll just take time and consistantcy. If any of the leaves it drops are healthy looking, you can put them in barely moist soil and they will root.
Good luck, with your jade and your new home. It must have been hard leaving plants (friends, neighbors, familiar places, ...) behind.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Azdyl Offline OP
OP Offline
Many thanks for your advice Margaret and for your good wishes.

The move was tough for all the reasons you mention - also, I lived on a hill overlooking the sea, high up - air fresh & clear. Now I am on the flat, still near the sea, but the air is much more humid - and actually, I feel as though I have been 'repotted'.

Today, I moved 'Jade' to a sunnier and more permanent position in the south facing kitchen, It rather dominates the area, but perhaps it is more similar to its' previous home.

Regarding potting on any leaves that fall - before I moved, they would drop and root themselves or I put them in a pot and they would take quite easily (hence the vast number of plants I had). Since moving here, I have tried this with some of the leaves, and they are just going yellow and squishy....!!!

I am using the same compost that I did previously - so do not think that is the reason.

My other succulants and the Yukka are doing very well - so I hope 'Jade' will pull through

Regards and Thanks again.

Azdyl

Smile - It confuses people.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image