Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#99794 Jul 29th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
sharpr Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, here I am in Texas and I can't seem to grow a forsythia! Who'da thunk it? The first one I bought from Wayside. After the first year of glorious bloom, some of the branches began to die back, others rooted where they touched the ground so what forsythia I had became a walking forsythia! Dug that up and gave it away and bought one locally. I walked out the other day and the leaves are turning brown. What in the world is going on? Any ideas out there? It's rained incessantly but the bush is planted on a slight slope so the drainage is good.

sharpr #100858 Jul 31st, 2007 at 05:24 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
they thrive in the northeast in clay soil with tons of rain. maybe yours need more water or water retention in the soil.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #100907 Jul 31st, 2007 at 07:37 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i agree, it may be too dry there. or, the spot may be too sunny considering that it's so hot where you are.

yes, forsythia branches WILL root! my neighbors bush has worked it's way into my yard in the time i've lived here!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #260407 Jan 31st, 2009 at 08:55 PM
I wrote in the old site about my forsythia problem... I couldn't stop it! The lady next door sold the house and the new owner hated it so he cut it down to the ground. He's not a gardener (a pull up everything that's growing... weed with roundup kind of guy) and he's been spraying it now for two summers.. and it still tries to grow. I guess my point is... watch out what you wish for. It's invasive. It spreads from roots and/or branches (where ever they touch the ground) and becomes enormous. I had to cut it back to keep it out of the above ground wires coming into the house.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image