Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98104 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:57 PM
Number Seven
1k Posts
OP Offline
Number Seven
1k Posts
I have several Brug cuttings in water that I started about 2 months ago. They are all developing roots, so when should I pot them up? Or should I leave them in water longer or even until next spring? (but that seems like too long to me). I've never grown them from cuttings before, and since they aren't hardy here I'll have to keep them inside over winter.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #98106 Jul 27th, 2007 at 01:05 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Alan you can pot them up as soon as you see the white nodes or wait untill you have roots, They like rich organic soil and lots of feeding, starting with a 20-20-20 feeding and upping the middle #.. as it progresses in the spring?summer~ Njoynit even has some of hers bloom in the house over winter.
I have a thread going about starts and the progress many of us here have started them this spring, Njoynit has shared lots and lots of Info with us( she got me started with them!) It in the thread "Brugs~ Keep on growing and growing!"

What is the name of yours???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #98107 Jul 27th, 2007 at 01:17 PM
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Great advice Diane! I have some budding right now Alan! Can't wait to see the blooms open! I got some cuttings from njoynit and am loving them. Mine will have to come in the house over the winter too. I kept mine in pots all summer and they seem to be doing well.

#98226 Jul 27th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
I know this is crazy, but may i ask what is a brug??? :)

If you haven't got all the things you want, be grateful for the things you don't have that you don't want.
dulcimiel80 #98540 Jul 28th, 2007 at 06:22 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
OP Offline
Number Seven
1k Posts
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and pot them up this week so they'll be well rooted before winter. I'm not sure the name of the one I took the cuttings from , but it's pink. I also have an orange one that I've had for several years and a variegated one that I just got last year. I don't seem to have much luck with them, though. The leaves usually end up turning brown and falling off. Not sure if it's too much or too little water, or something else.

dulcimiel80- Brug is short for Brugmansia.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #99251 Jul 28th, 2007 at 08:12 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Alan,my sis grows hers in a 5 gallon bucket with 2 inch holes drilled in sides.she sinks the bucket in ground in spring digs it and brings into barn(they raise chickens) for the winter,she put 2 inches of rocks from driveway(about river rock sized) in bottom of bucket.she changed the bucket out this year to one with no holes in bottom cause is harder to get out of ground when your bottom roots are under bucket.she's hillsburo/Grundy co shes almost 2 hours from you further south.

your leaves are brown and falling off cause your soil may be staying too wet.are they in large containers?What size pots and type of mix& are they in a saucer?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #99490 Jul 29th, 2007 at 06:22 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
OP Offline
Number Seven
1k Posts
They are in large pots (5 gal. I think) with regular potting soil. Last year I repotted them because the potting soil was old and they started out good, but then the same problem. This year I decided to cut them back because all the growth was at the top. They are filling out nicely, but the leaves are once again yellowing, turning brown and falling off. They don't have saucers underneath them, and I usually water every other day. I had one in the ground last year and it did really well, but I forgot to dig it up and I lost it. I want to keep the ones I have in pots, mainly because I don't really have anywhere in the ground to plant them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #99496 Jul 29th, 2007 at 06:39 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
maybe your potting soil.can try half compost half potting mix or some garden soil.Useually if leaves are brown and curling is too much water or not enough.the leaves yellowing could be nutrient deficentcy.try some azealia fertilizer.it has extra magnesuim^calcium.I've always had better luck with my cuttings in potting mix,but as they get older they do better with compost in the mix.My neighbor now has hers in containers on tree stumps(but has started sinking some in ground)she has stright MG 9 month feed formula then uses MG fertilizer.Hers look great,but mine are larger& bloom more.her leaves....make my good leaves....look like crap.and sis says....'Sink those bad boys...you don't know what your missing!'

most potting mixes are mostly 20% nutrients 80% peat.I forget where was reading that.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #99597 Jul 29th, 2007 at 11:09 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
OP Offline
Number Seven
1k Posts
Thank for the help...I'm gonna give them a dose of fertilizer right now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image