Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello fellow gardener

I appear to have bought a contaminated batch of Asda Smartprice compost. In repotting several plants I'm now seeing the prolific fruition of a cream to brown coloured fungus. A mass influx of tiny off-white protrusions from the soil of my houseplants became heavy clusters of diarrhoea coloured fungus, up to 3 cm diameter, close to the base of the afficted plants. These 'shrooms are showing no mercy.

I suspect we are dealing with the famous "Honey Fungus", but am in need of some closure. I'd be eternally grateful for some expert advice on the subject. I have several images which I can email.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

500 Posts
500 Posts
Well, I just googled honey fungus and all thr references were from the UK. Is that where you live? Anyway, it looks to be aggressive and sometimes lethal. I'd repot ASAP in some good quality soil (wash the roots, spray with fungicide), and return the bag of compost to where you bought it. I had a 'mushrooms in the philodendron' problem a while ago and used a commercial houseplant fungicide with good results, but those yellow mushrooms were just finishing up with the cheap potting soil I got, and not eating the live plants. Good luck!

May God bless the WHOLE world!
OP Offline
Thanks a lot for your tips, yes I'm UK - not sure if it's purely a problem of the isles...

Cheers again I shall heed your tips!

:-)

Matthew.

Matt - have you complained to Asda? I would!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image