Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98091 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:24 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I recently bought 2 clematis 'hagley hybrid'. They are said to grow best on the north side of a house, where they may get bright light but not much direct light. I have them both planted between my house and garage, one gets no direct sun at all and is about 5 ft tall and the other gets several hours of direct, intense sun, and is about 2 foot tall. With the increase of sunny days and heat, the plant is beginning to brown/shrivel at the tips. I was wondering if I should plant something like a morning glory on the trellis to help block some of that sunlight from the plant. Does that sound like a good idea or should I just move the plant altogether? Thanks!

Last edited by LandOfOz; Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:25 PM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #98094 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:27 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Also, are all clematis's this picky about lighting? I have several inches of mulch on top of the roots too keep them cool and I water regularly. I was thinking about just planting another clematis, like niobe, in front of the problematic hagley. Can they grow closely together without draining too many nutrients?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #98097 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:34 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Sarah I have Three clematis next each other in the hottest part of the yard getting full sun from 1 p.m.- sundown , But I keep their 'feet' cool , I have a lot of blue salvia in front of it shading their"feet" all day. I water in the A.M on the back side of the clematis( salvia doesn't need so much water) so their feet stay cooler thruout the day. I was concerned when I first planted them because it was the sunniest side of the yard But someone told me to plant something in front of it to keep their roots shaded and it will be fine!

We have about the same temps in the summer,.. Ohh and Mine are on the east side of the house.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #98099 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:40 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I'm glad yours are doing so good. Maybe I should plant something in front of them as well, although I'm not sure what... The Hagley clematis's can't take full sun, they are a part-sun to shade clematis which is what is concerning me. I'm thinking it may be getting too much sun where it is at.

What kind of clematis do you have? I love them all.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
angelblossom #98100 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I have 2 right next to each other on the north side of my garage. One blooms early spring, one is blooming now. They are shaded by some jewel weed, doing quite well. Last house I had one on the southwest side that did mediocre.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
LandOfOz #98102 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:49 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have Jack mandi, Bee's jubilee, and a white one that didn't have a tag with a specific name, Just said Clematis, Bee's jubilees said light shade but I put it there anyway notme they all three are in theirs second flush of blooms, and very thick in growth,

Last year when I planted them, they didn't do very well, matter of fact the white one barely grew at all But this year wow all three took off, I cut back in the very early spring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #98105 Jul 27th, 2007 at 12:59 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I love that Bee's jubilee. I'm very fond of clematis and that one is lovely.

Maybe this one just needs a year to adjust? I'll give it some cool coleus plants for extra shade (it really does have 3 inches of mulch on it). Hopefully the coleus will give what it needs. Besides, there were some neat looking coleus in the coleus kick thread. I've been itching to buy a few more ever since I saw that thread lol

Do you think two clematis's can happily co-exist within 15 inches of each other? I may just see if I can convince DH to let me have just one more, to help with shading... Especially since Wrennies seems to prefer the north side.

Last edited by LandOfOz; Jul 27th, 2007 at 01:02 PM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #98108 Jul 27th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I just looked up the white one I believe it is Henryii. I have all 3 of mine planted within 3 ' of each other Not sure if I should have But I did! LOL

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #98109 Jul 27th, 2007 at 01:32 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
My 2 are planted within 10 inches of each other.
spring
[Linked Image]

a few days ago. Theres more blooms now.
[Linked Image]

Wrennie #98115 Jul 27th, 2007 at 02:35 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Those are lovely, Wrennie!

If planting them close works for you guys, then I'm going to assume it will work for me. Now, if I can convince my hubby, I'm going to get another clematis, I think I saw a Niobe somewhere, so it would match my theme perfectly, and some limelight coleus or something.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #98199 Jul 27th, 2007 at 05:28 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
different varieties have different requirements - sunlight needs as well as pruning. all need cool feet.

if you bought two of the same variety and the one is doing well in the very shaded spot while the other is not doing half as well in full sun, i'd move that one to the shaded spot. obviously, that variety can't tolerate that much sun - planting something to give shade to the roots may help a bit...still, it doesn't sound like it will ever thrive like the other one is doing.

i'd move it :wink:

i'd wait until fall to do so, tho...it's just too hot at the moment. also, make sure to dig a big rootball - lots and lots of dirt around the roots. clematis don't like their roots fiddled with, so leave a good cushion around the actual rootball. early morning for the move and if it's a cloudy day, all the better! make sure to have the new hole ready before you bring this one up - the less time any plant is out of the ground the better for it.

i've had really good luck with using root stimulant when transplanting. just mix it up as per directions and pour some in the hole before you put the plant in, back fill after inserting the plant and pour some more on and then do a really good/deep watering. water every day (for the first month) at the out edge of the root ball so that the root stretch out to reach the moisture - that helps the plant get established more quickly. oh, expect the clematis to pout for a couple of weeks after you move it...it'll bounce back and should do really well next year.

clematis.com and clematis.org both have some good info on the different varieties and their individual needs.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #100462 Jul 30th, 2007 at 09:12 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Jocyln, those are some helpful links, thanks! I'm not sure if I really want to transplant the HH, but it might be for the best. For now I will definitely plant the proteus in front of it and see if the extra shade helps it. Maybe next year I can pick up the niobe clematis that matches the burgundy/pink theme. Time will tell, I suppose.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #100935 Jul 31st, 2007 at 08:35 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
yes! both those sites have good/helpful info!!

try the proteus in front (get it planted now, so it'll be well-established for next season) and see how the clem is doing this time next year. that extra bit of shade may be just the ticket...if it's not doing any better next year, then move it.

i've seen the niobe at bj's warehouse. and at lowe's - they had some last year - didn't notice any this year. i wasn't doing too much shopping this year tho, so i may have just missed it. actually, the few places i did go in this year seemed to be generally short on the clematis. wonder why?

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image