Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97558 Jul 26th, 2007 at 01:05 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone!

I have a great place to for a hummingbird feeder, but I am hesitate to hang one. What kind of problems am I inviting if I hang one? Too many bees, etc...

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Do you already have a lot of bees? Here they attract wasps and yellow jackets more than bees. In my yard I get a stray YJ or wasp. Not loads of them. And never saw a bee on one. There are feeders with bee guards or bee tips to keep them out. You can attract ants too but there are ant guards to keep them off. Some people have raccoons or squirrels bother them, once again this is more an acception than a rule. I ONCE in 20+ years of hanging hummer feeders lost one to a curious bear. Never to a squirrel or raccoon. You also MUST clean a feeder every few days in hot weather regardless of if there is any nectar left or not. The nectar can spoil or form a mold that will make the birds very sick.
With all that.... if you arent sure why not hang a basket of flowers there that they'd like? Petunias, fuschia, thunbergia???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Too me the joys of watching them outweigh the negatives of upkeep/yellow jackets.

I get quite a lot of yellow jackets on all of mine but they're hung in places where it doesn't bother me much. thumbup

I hope you decide to give it a try.

OP Offline
That is enough to convince me to hang flowers. Thank you for the information.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
flowers are good too! lol thumbup wavy

#97692 Jul 27th, 2007 at 06:08 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
if bees are on feeder...spray water.I posted a complaint once about the bees and thats how i've dealt with it.Its also been less as now I fill in morning not evening.I have both kinds of feeders the glass balls with the tubes out of bottom and the regular chep-o feeders and have less issues with the cheap-os.my balls with the tubes when its hot...they drip.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
OP Offline
Do you spray to keep the bees away, or spray while they are present? I might try one if I can find the ones with the guards. Any suggestions on where to get those?

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Come to NY and shop in my store grin
Most big box stores should have something. Walmart, Lowes, PetSmart, A good garden center, wild bird specialty shop notme
The bee guard (I cant believe I dont have a pic of one) Looks like a mesh barrel that goes on the feeding port. The bee tips go on the inside of the feeders, lok like tiny baby bottle nipples.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I've never had a problem with bees, ants on the other hand are a different story. Finally figured out tht mesh cloth soaked in vegetable oil and wrapped at the base of the pole and hanger keeps ants away.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
WildRedRidingHood
4k Posts
I don't want to keep the bees away, they are very important to me for pollination. They can share all they want on my four hummer feeders. They don't seem to bother the hummers any.

[Linked Image]
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
see my post in julianne's "thread hoping for a hummer", i put the feeder i love in there. you really do have to keep it clean and fresh nectar in it, but the reward is great! i was always to lazy to even attempt it, and when i committed to it, hung one, and saw my first hummer up close and personal, i will never go a summer without it!

you can also make your own nectar....
boil 1 cup water
add one cup sugar...mix until dissolved
then add 3 more cups water
keep in fridge for up to a week!
so it's 4 parts water to 1 part sugar

takes less than 5 minutes and the cost for a bag of sugar!

i promise you won't regret it!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image