Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#97072 Jul 25th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
OP Offline
I have a very large hardy white lilly. I've had it a few years now. I repotted it last yr. This yr it is out of control. Since I put in a new pond last month I moved it to the larger pond. The roots have grown out the bottom of the pot to the point that it won't sit straight. Now the roots have attached them selves to the biological filter. I had a mess pulling the peices out of the filter mesh.
Sooo, the question is should I cut the roots and cut the pot away and divide the plant? It is so tough I'm not sure I'll get it apart. I feel like taking it to a natural pond down the road and dumping it. But I like lillies and hate to lose a large one like that.
Then there's the problem with a missing turtle. My daughter bought 2 turtles about the size of a 50 cent piece, at the fair. I put one in my pond. I made sure it had something to climb onto to get sun. But,,, I haven't seen him since. It's been 2 days. I've been searching for him(or her). My daughter's not too happy.

buzz buzz buzz
According to my husband, the aquarium guy, by all means, cut the roots. I know it helps other plants to trim back the roots just as it does to prune branches. He also said that you needn't pot into a mesh or pot with holes. Use one without and if roots come out the top~~trim 'em! As far as dividing, he said that it can be tricky. I curious what advice you get. I have a few of my husband extras in my pond/fountain. They're starting to take off. I love the look of them, and the scent....um-um! Like you, I'd hate to loose such a nice plant. I'll be watching for the advice of all the pond experts!

Julianne

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image