Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#96036 Jul 24th, 2007 at 06:14 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
If you get taste of home magazine, I'm sure you saw the candyland cake on the back. And the first thing Rachael says is, "I want THAT cake for my birthday." It will be a mini-fortune just to buy all the candy for it. So, I was thinking of doing the whole party on a candyland theme. I'm looking for ideas.

FOr the invitiations, I thought maybe making a circle out of like yellow or red paper to resemble butterscotchies, or those nasty red things, would be nice to find a swirled red and white for peppermints and then cut a square out of vellum or maybe just cellophane, and then wrap it around the circle like a candy in a wrapper, twisting the ends. OR I could make large bright colored squares and dry emboss the brand 'starburst' on them.

Any ideas would be great, the party isn't until the end of August. I'd love to see some game ideas, this is for kids 3-6, so simple is good and SHORT. Invitation, decoration, ideas would be great too. Maybe they could make their own lollipops, like what Triss did?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #96247 Jul 24th, 2007 at 08:35 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Can you post a link to the pic?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #96252 Jul 24th, 2007 at 08:42 AM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
I love putting together themed parties for kids. Brennan has always had really cool parties. I'll come up with some ideas for you. The everything for a dollar store is always really handy. I'll get back with you later with some ideas.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
rachelp #96259 Jul 24th, 2007 at 08:49 AM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
http://www.birthdaypartyideas.com/html/candyland_parties_10.html

Try this link. This lady had some really cute ideas. I typed in candyland party in Google to find it.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #96276 Jul 24th, 2007 at 09:10 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Cute ideas!
I had that game as a kid. Loved it.
I think M&M's has some ideas on their site too(candy theme)

Wrennie #96309 Jul 24th, 2007 at 10:09 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
[Linked Image]

Rachel, you know, I didn't even think to google it. I usually google everything too. Thanks for reminding me. And that lady has far to much money and time on her hands. Did you read the whole page she did? I really like the CANDY game (instead of BINGO it's CANDY). That would be easy, cheap, and fun.

I went to hobby lobby and did some window shopping. I thought we could make either lollipops or gummie bears with the kids. The gummie things sit for 30 minutes before they are ready, but I think the kids could wait that long. Also, they have these cute little chinese-food take out containers, I thought it would be cute to fill them with candy to send with the kids home. I'm gonna have a lot of leftover candy from the cake itself.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #96366 Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:36 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
how CUTE!
{ i think i'm getting a sugar rush from that picture!}

LandOfOz #96372 Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:40 AM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Try the Dollar Tree store for the take out boxes and anything else you need. They have the boxes at the Dollar Tree here, you may be able to find them. You can get some good ideas from misc. stuff you find there. That is how I do Brennan's parties every year. I liked her idea of making the pathway with colored squares. I didn't read the entire thing. I just saw it had some good ideas. Google rocks!

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #96396 Jul 24th, 2007 at 11:55 AM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Another idea for a game. Make some grab bags of goodies. Mark each bag with a different color. Color the bottom of some sucker sticks with the same colors as the bags. Poke the suckers down into styrofoam and let the kids pick them out. They get to pick the goody bag that has the same color as the bottom of the stick. Even if the goody bags all have the same stuff in them, the kids will have fun picking the suckers and getting the bags. It makes it a little more interesting than just handing out the goody bags.

Again, the $ Tree comes in handy for goody bags. Last year I got packs of stickers, glow necklaces, mini animal water squirters, and bubbles. I divided the packs up into the goody bags. The kids loved them. I made 16 bags for under $10.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

rachelp #96483 Jul 24th, 2007 at 01:09 PM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
You have great party ideas Rachel!

Wrennie #96539 Jul 24th, 2007 at 02:25 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Those are some good ideas. I think we have a dollar store, unless it got closed. Will have to check them out. I did like the pathway too. I'm still wondering about invitations. So far, the only invitation I've really liked it just a plain circle card, shiney on the outside, wrapped up like a candy, in vellum.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #100517 Jul 30th, 2007 at 10:22 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I'm going to make the candy invitation I mentioned, I will probably get them going and hopefully out by next monday. I think 2 weeks notice is plenty, it may be too much notice for my forgetful family. I'll post pics of them, too, if anyone wants to see them. I've made CANDY bingo for the kids. Instead of bingo, it says candy at the top, and it has pictures of different types of candy in each box. So, I'll call "C-skittles." I will also do the idea with the colored lollipop sticks, that will be an as-your-leaving activity. Also, there will be some prizes for bingo, like jump-ropes or something. Because what's the point in winning if you don't get anything? lol

I had the coolest idea that I can't do. While I was googling I noticed a lot of places sell the T-shirts with candy or bubble gum logos on them. It would've been so cool to have my family (as in the girls, DH, and I) wearing them. But there is no way on earth that I will pay $20 for a tee shirt. Maybe if I could find them cheaper somewhere...

I don't think that we'll be making lollipops. Well, we might but with my brothers kids' being very..misbehaved to put it politely, I'm not sure I want to be working with something hot and sticky.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image