Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94913 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 05:44 AM
OP Offline
Hello everyone, here's my problem....my wife and I are closing on a new home, a secluded, 3.5 acre house in the woods...issue is, it has a large, gorgeous pond in the yard, which we love visually, but are concerned b/c we have a 2 year old....Can anyone recommend inexpensive, visually pleasing solutions to this issue?

thermal_izod #94961 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 09:38 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Ooo, we'd love to see pics of the pond if you get a chance to take some and share them with us.

That's a toughie about how to keep the 2 year old out of that area....short of putting a fence around it or constant supervision I'm a little stumped.

Maybe you could fence a decent sized area around it in.......then you could add some benches and little paths around it....maybe grow some vines along the fence to make it seem more natural.

Hmmmm, stumped. why

#94962 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 09:55 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
There are picket fences that are nice if you like them, that are tall with lockable gates. A fence, chainlink, or chicken wire like Loz said with vining plants would be nice too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #108661 Aug 12th, 2007 at 11:41 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
i have two ponds there small but i have my bb and it dont take much for a child to drawn so i just keep constance supervision on her, would do that even if i didnt have a pond, lol, little ones have no fear! my bb dosnt go outside unless some ones with her,and if im in the front yard bb's in the front yard, if im in the back bb's in the back, i dont let her out of my sight,
we have locks on all the doors so she cant get out wile we are sleeping [ had a neighbor who found their 3yr old in the next field over playing on a tractor at 3 in the morning!] so chain locks up high are good!
the gates would be fine but kids learn quick how to unlock doors n such. you would need like a pad lock or somthing high so they couldnt reach it.
good luck

[Linked Image]
sibyl #110205 Aug 14th, 2007 at 07:30 PM
I agree with a fence of some sort. Picket sounds pretty, but a regular chain link with jasmine would look good, smell good and keep your 2 year old safe. Jasmine grows fast, oh, wait~~where are you? Anyway, I suggest wherever you are, thwart your 2 year olds couriousity with a lock on the inside of the gate; one that an adult has to reach over to unlock and that a two year old can't reach.

You could make the shape interesting and give yourself endless landscaping opportunities.

Love to see pics when you can. Good luck. Sounds wonderful!

Julianne

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image