Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94439 Jul 21st, 2007 at 10:31 AM
OP Offline
How big can you let yellow crookneck squash get for it to still be good? We were gone a week on vacation, and we have a bunch of big squash. Does anyone have some good recipes/tips for eating them? All we have done so far is cook them and put some butter on and eat them. They are yummy! Thanks!

Hannah & Dacota (my GSD pup-born May 20, 2007)
-Zone 6 - Jeremiah 29:11
Hannah L--- #94446 Jul 21st, 2007 at 10:48 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Like zucchini they can get very large and still be good. The smaller the sweeter in my experience.
You can make zucchini bread with crooknecks,( i dont have a recipe in my head) Squash soup, I suggest taking the seeds out for this, then cook it down so its good and mushy, squish it up, add chicken broth, heavy cream and whatever spices you like (salt, pepper, dill is good)then a blob of sour cream on top. We make squash on the grill, make a 'pan' out of tin foil coat with olive oil, slice squash either in discs about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, or lengthwise (when its bigger than10" long length is difficult cause of the variation in thickness of the slice) season it and flip over on the foil till cooked through. we use salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and dill.
Squash fritters? like corn ounds good (need a recipe for that one too.)

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image