Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84229 Jul 7th, 2007 at 07:06 PM
OP Offline
Well I started a whole bunch of poppies from seed, way back when (in Feb. I think). They got transplanted a while back in a half barrel and here they are with their fower heads poking out. The tallest and biggest is flopped over is that ok? It has another 2 flower heads on it. I am so happy, and the great part is it will be a total surprise what comes out, because I seriously can't remember which ones I planted there.

[Linked Image]

Now the second set I procrastinated in transplanting (just did it yesterday) and they stayed in their little six pack way too long, but I just went out to take a few pics and look what I saw. Now they are no more than 4" tall so I wonder what will happen with the little flower heads.

[Linked Image]

Nuria
cancolgirl #94315 Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:37 PM
OP Offline
These are what I got. So pretty. Only the hail storms keep on destoying them. Good thing each plant has a few flowers blooming at different times. Most have only lasted maybe 2 days, but the last ones are much stronger, hopefully tonights high winds won't rip off all their petals.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The first 2 are Danish Poppies, but the first is different. Not really how it is supposed to look. And the 3rd is the ruffled feathers. I am now waiting patiently for another one to bloom. If I am not mistaken it will be a Black Peony Poppy. I love surprises, even tho I should know what I planted and where, but I had to do everything so fast I forgot where I planted what.

I will wait and take a pic once it bloooms.

Nuria
cancolgirl #94340 Jul 21st, 2007 at 06:06 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
clap pretty!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie #94464 Jul 21st, 2007 at 12:21 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Nuria! Lucky you!! grin I've tried growing poppys' over and over again I've had no luck with them! boohoo

Yours are sooooooo Pretty!!! I especially like the third Pic!! clap What a beauty!! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #95129 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 04:25 PM
OP Offline
Angelblossom, I started them indoors, in plastic egg cartons (10 per holder). And transplanted them once they were big enough and had deep roots. Only thing I can really say about them is they do not like to get dry once they start growing. I lost quite a few because I did not water them well, and they like light. Let me know if you would like some seeds.

I think my Black peony poppy is about ready to open. This one had a very bad germination rate so if I can get seeds from it, I'll have more of them to try. I also tried with the Blue Himalayan poppy, but did not germinate what so ever, so I asked the seller for a replacement. I did as was indicated but was unable to germinate them. And I was looking forward to them.

Nuria
cancolgirl #97745 Jul 27th, 2007 at 07:40 AM
OP Offline
OK here is one that bloomed today. I love it. The seeds were the more expensive ones I've bought so far, mostly because they I only got 26 seeds of it, and only 4 germinated. So I am happy to see that I will get a chance to keep seeds. And mail them as well for the next fling.
Here is a pic.
[Linked Image]
And I've never saved seed from poppies but i've heard there are hundreds in one pod. And there are 7 flower heads on this one. So I will have tons to share. I can't remember who it was that was trying to have an all black garden or something like that I should send them seeds.

Nuria
cancolgirl #97748 Jul 27th, 2007 at 08:01 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Beautiful Poppies!!

I have one that I planted not long ago that has leaves, but is not doing much else this season. It is a Patty's Plum. I sure hope it grows!
Shirl

graffixofeden.net
"The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image