Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#93087 Jul 19th, 2007 at 09:05 AM
OP Offline
:mad:

I have some ANCIENT trumpet vines growing up a "trellis" at my new house. Unfortunately, I have blasted runners popping up as far away as 30 feet away from the main three trunks. OK - so the flowers are lovely, and it's quite a spectacle, but these runners are a problem. I've tried digging them up and sharing with friends, but they really don't survive it very well. So now we just mow over them.

I want to establish some kind of garden area there, but the runners would pop through. Any ideas on how to control them? I think they would just come through any kind of landscaping fabric.

Help!!

Sandy R.
slredmond #93234 Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:30 AM
Hey Sandy, We have the same problem. I dug ours up and moved it away from the pool and put it around a old tree stump. That was two years ago and the tree stump is covered and those darn things are moving out in the yard 20 to 30 feet around that stump. I keep mowing them down and they keep coming back..
If you find a way to get rid of them, pass the info along to me. LOL
I do keep killing them as they pop up around the pool and patio. Are you sure yours haven't found their way to Grand Ledge from your place? the way these things grow, it could be possable.
Good luck with yours.
Ghost

My Ride: Wizwheelz TerraTrike TT 3.6

I lay awake last night wondering where the sun had gone, then it dawned on me
Ghost #93236 Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:37 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ghost
Are you sure yours haven't found their way to Grand Ledge from your place? the way these things grow, it could be possable.
Ghost

Could be!!

These vines are decades old and it's amazing how far out those runners spread.

Word to the wise: Don't plant these suckers within 100 yards of where you don't want them!! They are beautiful, but...

Sandy R.
I know what you mean by those trumpet vines. I nearly had a heart attack when my aunt got some from a nursery. The flowers are pretty and the hummers love em. I wish you can see them in the wild here...they're big enough for Tarzan & Jane to swing from.

Why is it some weeds or invasive plants can be bought at garden centers????? why

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image