Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#92836 Jul 18th, 2007 at 08:11 PM
OP Offline
Just kidding--but it IS a hibiscus! Here is a pic of a bloom from last year, and one of the plant this year--it's over 6 feet tall, now!! Does anyone know what kind it is?? I can't find anymore.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah
gardenermom #92894 Jul 19th, 2007 at 04:25 AM
No but it's pretty!

iheartflowers #92938 Jul 19th, 2007 at 05:37 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Wheres Angelblosom? I think she has one of them. A texas star hibiscus maybe? Or something like that.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
#93101 Jul 19th, 2007 at 09:23 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
yes that is a texas star hibiscus.Hibiscus CoccineusI'm glad yours is blooming.I've re started mine from seed.It seems to be growing slow this year& the one wintered over from last year is not above 2 ft.When hurricane rita came through mine was 6 ft& it was flat afterwards mostly into the pond(it grew to one side of water feature)Now my october rose is another.you'd love it.it blooms in Late oct-nov lovely burgandy rose colored flowers and when the temps get cool the edges of leaves will take on a purple cast.I got seeds too.It gets huge.10 ft tall and at LEAST 6 ft wide.mines just 6 ft right now.

here's a shot
[Linked Image]
Thats the flower on october rose.
This is one grown with goldenrod

[Linked Image]

and this the monster in flowerbed
[Linked Image]

By the way.Mulch yours well and the'll return from roots for you.Theres a tire place in Garland that grows these in front of bussiness on corner.They mulch theres and they return its still zone 6,but you get worse weather.That looks like a good spot its in.least will cut off some wind.If you peg pieces of your blackie sweet potato vine down it will grow starts from there and you can fill the area as ground cover faster.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
#93215 Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:00 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've also not let that hibiscus take that bed over this year.its a better managed bed this year.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #93284 Jul 19th, 2007 at 02:04 PM
OP Offline
Thanks njoynit--I can't believe that plant--is your's growing as a vine or is it just an energetic bush!!

I'll take your advice on the sweet potato vine--I love those things.

I just can't get over how many people grow stuff from seeds. I have terrible luck with seeds.

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah
gardenermom #93368 Jul 19th, 2007 at 05:58 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
yeah...its THAT energetic.that was just 3.I won't do THAT again.I have spread it in the woods though.That was one with the goldenrod.its barely growing this year with the goldenrod,but still got 3 good months to go till bloom.

I filled my entire hex bed last year with one lone sweet potato vine.I just kept pegging pieces and when they'd sprout new shoot re direct it.This year it full of zinnias& B&B salvia..my rose and cypress gardens are in there somewhere.Knightti brugmansia finally grew tall enough to see...............but think know a good spot to grow blackie next year.

Hopefully my Tx star will get in gear.I dumped some compost on it saturdy.

njoynit #93735 Jul 20th, 2007 at 09:52 AM
OP Offline
Njoynit--So is your brug perennial? Also, what kind of cypress?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image