Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there.

I am thinking of cutting back my Tropic Snow. It's young. Only about 2 or 2.5 feet tall. It's a single stalk, but I'd like it to branch out. Here's the thing...

It took me a long time to find one of these. It's one of my favorites. In the back of my mind I know I shouldn't fear cutting it, and that I could end up with two plants instead of one. I cut my plants back all the time, including my smaller diefs. I love this one though!

If any of you have had any negative experiences cutting back your Tropic Snows, please let me know before I perform surgery.

Thanks.
Amanda

Amanda / Zone 6
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i've never had a bad experience cutting any dief. back, and i've always been able to root the top and get an "extra" plant out of it! grin

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Jiffy.

I know you're right. It's just that I looked so long for that plant. I wonder why they're so hard to find???

Anyway, I decided to make my first attempt at air layering a week ago with the dief. The thought of cutting it off completely was just too traumatizing for me. Me... The person who has whacked half her plant collection with no abandon and no remorse. lol

I forgot to insert toothpicks into where I made the cuts to keep them from healing. I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks Jiffy!

Amanda / Zone 6
Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi there.

I'd thought I'd post some progress pictures. I had started out trying to air layer but, after two or three weeks, nothing was happening. I don't think I did it right. Anyway, I decided to go ahead and cut the plant.

The first picture is from June 19. The second one is today, July 16.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Amanda / Zone 6
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup awesome amanda! don't you love it when it works like that?! clap

Amany Offline OP
OP Offline
Yup! grin

Amanda / Zone 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image