Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90969 Jul 16th, 2007 at 12:33 AM
OP Offline
im just asking... is it safe to buy seeds from organica seeds? they require you to pay by credit card but i think it is because its supported by yahoo shops... im really tempted to buy lots of seeds from them, they have tomato seeds that can grow up to 6 pound tomatoes!!also, atlantica giant pumpkin seeds in different weight varieties, also, what would be the best thing for a beginning gardener for me to grow?? ( Dont say tomatoes, I really dont like them unless they are in the form of a paste or ketchup. ) also,Im setting my sights high for what i want as my very first plant! Im aiming for a 6 pound tomato or a 200 pound pumpkin!! also, I live in texas and let me tell you about the soil in my yard. OK, so its gray and always dry and cracked up. anyway, ive been bombarded with rain for like 1 whole week and a few days after the rain stopped the soil had dried up every last bit of the rain and was back to being dry and cracked, even after my whole backyard had been underwater for like a whole week!!also, I live in a part of texas where LOTS of trees grow. My backyard is like mostly shaded except for in the center. what kind of soil is it that it could do that??

Last edited by thepatrick; Jul 16th, 2007 at 01:22 AM.
OP Offline
i wish there were more people on this forum site... oh and im 13

5k Posts
5k Posts
Garden Watchdog is a good site for checking out seed/plant companies. The URL will take you to their reviews for organica seeds.

It sounds like your soil may need a little help. All the trees will suck nutrients and water from the soil (which is why it dried out so fast) and also, the shade will stunt sun-loving plants. Of course, you can always add lots of compost and fertilizer to the soil to improve it, but you'll have to apply more frequently due to the trees. I'd recommend working on the soil this year, adding compost, manure, etc, and then growing next year.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup perfect advice sarah. and welcome patrick.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image