Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#90767 Jul 15th, 2007 at 03:45 PM
OP Offline
I sowed oregano in my coldframe along with all my other herbs in spring. everything else has been growing at a decent pace. The oregano, which, after thinking the first sprouts wouldn't make it, I in fact sowed twice in different batches. I have a few teeny oregano seedlings from both batches which are both planted in teh garden now, but they have barely grown since sprouting two months ago yet do not appear unhealthy. Does anyone know whether oregano is usually this desparately slow growing...I'm at a loss. They are very teeny little things.

Little Sprout
5k Posts
Little Sprout
5k Posts
Not sure why... my oregano is actually growing at a faster pace than usual.. it's already starting to flower a tthe top! shock

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

THE SPROUT IS BACK!
Even though I've sowed literally millions of seeds in the past 20 years or so, its still a miracle to me when my seed trays 'break green' with the coming of the dawn. I realize this is a late reply to your posting, but in hopes you might come across this, here goes...
Oregano seeds can be a bit iffy cometimes, not in getting them up, but in keeping your seedling from damping off. Because oregano can be 'so slow to grow'from seed, the conditions for healthy growth almost have to be perfect. You are to be congratulated with much back patting on your part.
Generally speaking, perennial herbs, are almost always slower to take off and establish than annual herbs. Especially the Mediterian ones like sage, rosemary, thyme and oregano. While basil plants can reach 4' by the end of summer, you would do well to get 4" with oregano.

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
For me when it comes to thyme, oregano or rosemary I always get starter plants. I've never gotten any of them to grow from seed. I add my congratulations to thorns.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image