Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#89879 Jul 14th, 2007 at 01:31 PM
OP Offline
One of the reasons I just joined this site is because of a problem I'm having with one particular Dahlia. I've been growing them for years and have seen most common problems (although mainly insects and powdery mildew).

VT has been getting rains lately. In fact, we're getting to feel like the tropics (80 degrees with 100% humidity and raining heavily at least once a day, if not two or three times).

This morning, I walked out to one of my established beds, and I found my two foot high Kelvin Floodlight drooping. None of the other plants in that particular bed are having a problem. I checked for insects and found nothing except one lone Japanese Beetle, who met his maker. The plant is showing no outward signs of anything wrong, except of course, that it is drooping badly. No bugs, no mildew, no mites, no spotting of the leaves. Help! I have no idea what to do about this (and really hate to admit it, lol. Last year I had a plant do this and it eventually withered and died off, although the tuber was in great shape when I dug it up.

GardengrlVT
Be Careful What You Wish For, You Might Get It!
GardengrlVT #89921 Jul 14th, 2007 at 01:59 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Good Question ~~ I've had the same problem with 3 of mine! Although the rest of them are fine all in the same soil and near each other and I can't figure out the problem either!!!! Lets hope we get an answer before I dig mine up!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #89925 Jul 14th, 2007 at 02:03 PM
OP Offline
Thank you so much angelblossom for letting me know I'm not the only one! I almost dug it up this morning, I was so frantic to see what the problem was. But I stopped myself. It looked fine yesterday, so this is something that just happened! Yes, let's hope someone has an answer or two! Susan :-)

GardengrlVT
GardengrlVT #89943 Jul 14th, 2007 at 02:18 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I've done a search But couldn't come up with anything! EXcept too much water BUT then why doesn't it happen to all of them in the same area?? There has got to be a different reason than that!

BTW Welcome to the GardenHelper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #90583 Jul 15th, 2007 at 10:20 AM
OP Offline
This afternoon, since it looks like our "monsoons" have stopped for today, lol, I'm going to dig it up gently and see if I can locate any damage on the tuber. I'll let you know! Susan

GardengrlVT
GardengrlVT #91277 Jul 16th, 2007 at 10:00 AM
OP Offline
I gently dug around the Kelvin Floodlight. The tuber and the soil surrounding it look perfectly normal. I can see no bugs, worms, or other pests in the soil OR on the tuber. Plus, this morning, it looks like its perking up a bit! I'm SO confused on this! I don't understand why the plant next to it, which is James Albin, isn't doing the same thing! Susan

GardengrlVT
GardengrlVT #92022 Jul 17th, 2007 at 10:44 AM
OP Offline
I did take a pic of Kelvin Floodlight, but I just realized I have no idea how to post it here. Still drooped. So much for hoping it is straightening up!

GardengrlVT
GardengrlVT #92746 Jul 18th, 2007 at 06:22 PM
2 of my dahlia plants are Kelvin Floodlight and I have had that problem after several violent rainstorms last year. I think dahlias can wilt for all sorts of reasons. It's either too much water, not enough water in really hot weather, drastic change in temperature or the dreaded bacterial wilt. I added more mulch near the roots of mine and it seemed to decrease the water penetration during the heavy rains. Since you have just that one plant wilting, it could be due to disease but who knows. You may want to call up the experts at Swan Island Dahlias to see if they have any advice....

Tracy

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image