Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
This started off with three seeds. I nicked the ends of seeds and soaked for 1 full day before planting! Now it has grown over the top of the fence and onto the neighbors side( Geeeez I hope they don't mind, I can't reach up there to cut it back! why notme). It has taken over the rose bush tho a couple of roses has managed to push a couple of blooms thru, and now is growing into the clematis vines, ( maybe I should at least cut it back there,so it doesn't choke them out! boohoo).

[Linked Image]

There are sooooooo many buds ( I would guess close about 50 at least!)about to bloom,, how wonderful if it were to bloom in a flush!!!!
[Linked Image]

Can you imagine 50 blooms like this and ohhhh the smell would be heavenly!!!

[Linked Image]

I'm going to try hard to catch many blooms at once and will post a pic!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Wow, very pretty. Can't wait to see many blooms.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
I cant get a moonflower vine to grow for anything! I've tried & tried. Morning glories, sure, easy. Moonflowers just wont 'take' for me. Yours is gorgeous.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Wrennie, I've always had the same problem as you...I can get the seeds to sprout occassionally, but they've never transplanted well for me. starting them in the ground doesn't work for me either. I'm so jelous!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Kenny and Wrennie~~~~~~~~~ after I soak them I plant them in only my compost, and keep them moist for about 4 weeks, after they have at least 6 leaves I fed them fish emulsion, and once a week just as I do the moon flower bush and Brugs. they like frequent feeding!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That would be a gorgeous sight to see them all in full bloom, not familiar with moonflowers do they bloom only a little at a time? From the bottom to the top?

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
No actually they bloom in the evening,, this morning I woke up and found that three had bloomed thru out the night and I missed it! they were already closing , the bloom only last about 5-8 hours( that I can tell anyway) Shoooot I really wanted to get a pic' of more than one bloom at a time! This vine is soooo thick it has blooms under and in between leaves that I don't discover until it's too late!

This particular vine is my gransons fav flower plant he plants the seeds here every year, we usually do it in the front yard and they have never gotten this big, this year we tried the back yard and they really took off!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow! thats so pretty!

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
I have one growing through 'Lady Godivia' rose on the fence.Mine didn't take last year.I think next year will add it on the arbor with the purple moonvine along with a white morning glory.mines just been blooming for a lil over a week.I don't think have as much foliage as you...but think the cats ate some while makeing butterflys.I've found some creamish fuzzy cats..dead on leaves.I do find it starts out slow.I sowed mine in March.I don't have the white moonvine return but the purple moonvine returns from roots each year for me(and not blooming yet,but looks way better than last year.)

Diane.your calendula is tied/staked isn't it.mines floppy.I'm temptd to re sow seeds.Its in full sun and flops.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
2k Posts
2k Posts
will depend on tonights rain if can get shots tonight.

flowers/July182007moonflowervine.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>
and a closer shot
flowers/July182007moonflowercloseup.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

The one at other end of fence is growing slower.this ones just at the halfway point on fence.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
OP Offline
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW Njoynit your vine look thick and lush too!!!!

I finally got a picture of more than just one moon flower!! YAYYY I had to turn the flood light on at 4:30 in the morning to get some of the moon flowers at one time!! But worth getting up for!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
clapbeauitful njoynit n daine!!!!

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
thats neat with your roses pokeing through.I took the vine of the aloha guess I should have left it.But thats ok cause at the other end it has some turks cap.I forgot to get pictures last night.(I was up at 4 am,I was up at 2 am and got to watching a movie an American Haunting.it took place in TN where I grew up a Bell family.Its on sunday night at 7 pm& 2 am...again)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image