Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77760 Jun 27th, 2007 at 07:11 PM
OP Offline
OK, I thought the reason why my cucumbers were bitter was because I waited too long to pick them. So I'm picking them when they are about 6 inches now, with a nice healthy green coloring that has NO yellowat all. They are 'burpless' and in the highest point of my gardne between my corn and zuccs. In the corner, with about 65% sun throught out the day. I water then once a day at the same time in the morning. So why are they STILL just as bitter now as when I picked the first one??Oh and by the way...When they first were picked, I had 3 of them that were the same size, so I picked all 3, 1 of the 3 were just fine and tasty, but the other 2... boohoo GROSS!!!
I also have an Armenian Cucumber plant right next to them and they are just fine. Any ideas??? Should I just pull these nasty bitter things and try again next year.

chrissy fair #77763 Jun 27th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
Lack of enough water makes them bitter is what I've always heard. Also I always give mine a scoop of lime early in their plant development stage which helps sweetening them.

keylimegal #77977 Jun 28th, 2007 at 07:07 AM
5k Posts
5k Posts
Hi, Chrissy. I had that problem last year, with a burpless variety. I was so ticked. Of about 15 plants, I only had one that produced some good tasting cukes. From what I read, bitterness is basically caused by some compounds that make the entire plant bitter. And the compounds usually develop when the plant is young. If it were me, I would yank the ones producing the bitter cukes, and try to grow more, cukes grow quite fast anyway.

Cuke Information, check out page 2

Sorry about the cukes, it's all heartbreaking when the garden disappoints.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
LandOfOz #84235 Jul 7th, 2007 at 07:17 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Add this info to Sarah's post.

Bitterness in Cucumber and Zucchini.

All cucurbits produce a group of chemicals called cucurbitacins, which cause the vegetables to taste bitter, and the higher the concentration of cucurbitacin the more bitter the vegetable will taste. In commercially cultivated cucumbers and zucchini, they are normally in such low concentrations that they cannot be tasted. These chemicals provide other attributes to the cucurbits, such as the musky scent of cantaloupe.

Mild bitterness is fairly common in cucumbers resulting from higher levels of cucurbitacin triggered by environmental stress, like high temperatures, wide temperature swings or too little water. Uneven watering practices (too wet followed by too dry), low soil fertility and low soil pH are also possible stress factors. Over mature or improperly stored cucurbits may also develop a mild bitterness, which is often not severe enough to prevent gardeners from eating them.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #84356 Jul 7th, 2007 at 08:53 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
The most wonderful cucumber I have ever had was a long, stickery, bumpy one that curved along on the dirt.
I wonder what it was? It was so mild and so crisp and good.
Anyone know the name of it?

DeborahL #88623 Jul 12th, 2007 at 07:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks you all..I pulled it, now the other 2 remaining plants that gave hardly any cuke's are loaded!! and THEY taste mild and crispy and yummy!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,860
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image