Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#88286 Jul 12th, 2007 at 09:39 AM
OP Offline
Ive discovered 4 tomatoes with blossom end rot boohoo Im growing Romas, which I understand get hit by this nasty problem.

Unfortunately, the bag of eggshells I collected to plant with my tomatoes to prevent this from happening sat under the kitchen sink. I was too lazy to move the black plastic mulch to put it in...and now, I have rot!!

So, I did put the eggshells in the ground now, about 1 egg's worth for each plant, and watered them with fish emulsion last night because I wanted to do SOMETHING! why

Is there anything else I can do? None of the tomatoes out there now show signs of it, just the few I picked off already. Ive also thinned out some leaves for better circulation.

flwr

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Epsom salts. You can mix a solution of it and use it to water with every two weeks. I don't remember the ratio but the link is around here somewhere. I'm sorry my mind is so bad. Google Epsom salt for this site and it should come up.

The magnesium in the epsom salts helps the plants pick up the calcium you put down.

[Linked Image]
1k Posts
1k Posts
Sparagus, what does blossom end rot look like? I have lots of tomatoes and am concerned I treat it right away should mine get the same thing.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
It's UGLY! Looks like it sounds, the bottom of the tomato where the flower originally was rots. Black, sunken in and nasty! :mad: devil

Oh and thanks TK about the epsom salts rec. Will check into it!

Last edited by 'Sparagus; Jul 12th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image