Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80703 Jul 1st, 2007 at 10:42 PM
OP Offline
We had some pretty bad storms roll through the area yesterday afternoon and then it rained/was windy overnight. Went out this morning and my corn rows are leaning over from all the wind and rain beating on it. It is not bent over in half, but definitely not standing straight as it was before all of this.

When (if?) the sun ever come back out here, will my corn stand back up? Is there anything that I should do? I sure hope it isn't ruined....I had just found my first corn plant with a tassel coming out of it yesterday morning.

~Karen~

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Karen:
I had a storm lay my corn almost flat one time (or 2). If you Leave it Alone there is a very good chance it will straighten back up and continue to grow, almost as if nothing had happened. But if you try to be a good gardener and "help" it out, you may lose it. I know it sounds strange, but that is my experience with it.
Also, I do not remember how long it took for the corn to straighten--sorry

Good Luck & let us know how it turns out!!!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #87347 Jul 11th, 2007 at 05:16 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
One thing corn does like is a good load of compost placed over the root zone. You can bury the stalks a foot deep in it. If you do this, you will give the plants more support and also increase your yield.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #87677 Jul 11th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
We just had a horrible wind yesterday and many of my corn broke off but the ones that bent over are slowly starting to stand up again. I think they'll be alright.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Rosepetal #88352 Jul 12th, 2007 at 10:30 AM
OP Offline
I forgot about this post lol (I am bad about that).

Anyway, my corn did stand back up and is doing great! I have lots and lots of tassels and one plant has corn silk showing with the others soon to follow YAY!!

Thanks Longy for that tip about the compost!

~Karen~

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. ~Hanna Rion

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image