Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86850 Jul 10th, 2007 at 12:13 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
last Mom's day, my daughter got me 2 hydrangea bushes (blue Nikko), which I put in my front yard, whee I should have landscaping. (this side of house faces east) 1 has died. I wanted to replace it with a Blue Mist shrub--It flowers a blue/purple color, mature bush is 2 to 4 ft high and is butterfly friendly. DH wants me to plant another Hydrangea. What is everyones opinion. DD says she does not care either way.

thanks

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
most hydrangea like shade and would do better on the northside of the house or where there is shade.

Other than that it's completely up to you what you put where.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tammy, I know you are right about them prefering shade--but DH was having nothing to do with bushes on the north side of the house--so its either they make it on the east side or they don't make it at all.-- This is more of an asthetic (?) question. How would it look if the 2 bushes were differnt types?? and yes it would look fine, but in the big scheme of things & esp since there is no other landscaping (& will likley not ever be any more) would it be better to have them match?

That is what I wanted help with.

________

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I am one for symmetry. My husband laughs at me, cause I need balance, in all aspects. He says I even have to have equal portions of each food on each plate when I serve. lol Anyway.. I would probably go with the Hydrangea.. IF I were thinking as to what would be 'perfect'.. but seeing as how it could die as well, due to the natural needs of the species.. I /might/ lean toward the other little bush you mentioned. Since your hubby is adamant that no shrub shall grow on the North side, you must do what you can with what you have I suppose. So, I say go with the Blue Mist shrub.. no it won't match, no it won't be symmetrical and perfectly matched.. but it will thrive, be healthy and beautiful. And that will make you feel good.

I hope I have helped some.. if not, totally disregard this post! lol

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I agree with the Blue mist shrub as well. You have to plant what you like and you seem to be leaning towards that one. If DH wants the hydrangea then have him buy it as well lol I'm sure you can find room for another grin

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
If it is a matter of landscaping I would say go with two of the blue mist one on either side of the hydrangea. That way if the hydrangea dies you still have symetry. And if it doesn't the hydrangea is nicely framed by the other two bushes.

I wouldn't buy another hydrangea that's to risky with your money. And I'm on a fixed budget so I hate to see my hard earned dollars wither away.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tammy thanks for the idea---that is a great compromise--and if the other hydrangea dies, you are right---yeaaaaaaaaaaaa clap

I am so glad I found you guys--thanks so much!!

________

I agree one of the blue mist on either side of the hydrangea. Not only will it add the balance you need but it may also provide some shade for the hydrangea that it needs. Good luck. I hope the hydrangea adapts, I love hydrangea.

Uni

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image