Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#87028 Jul 10th, 2007 at 06:10 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Ha! Here it is the 10th of July and I'm just remembering the start my new journal . . .

Well, here's some pictures from my last few days work on the lot (when it wasn't raining or too hot).

I've been working around the point circle (as I've probably already said). Here's the mess that's left to do . . .

[Linked Image]

--------------

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
Carly #87030 Jul 10th, 2007 at 06:11 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
OK, so that's the bad news . . .

This is a pretty dusty area - nothing but hard grey clay-packed soil on this side of the point circle . . .

[Linked Image]

Here's where I laid some of my leaf mulch over it . . .

[Linked Image]

It was hard work, but I was pleased with the result.

----------------

Carly #87034 Jul 10th, 2007 at 06:12 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Here's the kalanchoe I dug into Fed Ex Corner

[Linked Image]

Strangely enough, those pots of kalanchoe I got are in three parts - I was surprised to find they broke into my hand when I turned the first one out to sink it into the soil.

And that's all for right now - I gotta' go out tomorrow, morning, afternoon and early evening, so I won't be gardening till Thursday.

It's supposed to be a wee bit cooler then, so I'm hoping I'll be able to put some time in.

Last edited by Carly; Jul 10th, 2007 at 06:14 PM.

Carly #87275 Jul 11th, 2007 at 03:48 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Oh, joy, joy, joy!

I've realized (with the help of my better half) that I don't have to go to the foot docs today - it's tomorrow!

But I do have book discussion tonight, so I might as well go visit my daughter in the late afternoon, then go on to the library.

I'll putter on the lot this morning (if I don't go back to bed), then I won't be so tired when it's time to go out.

#88685 Jul 13th, 2007 at 01:52 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Didn't do much today - went to the foot doctor's - it's not the 'bones man', it's the one that does the toenails. Jeff's having his done too, so we're getting our appointments together - ain't that cute, eh?

Did some grocery shopping, then we came home and I napped. Now, I know this has nothing to do with gardening, but then again it has everything to do with gardening. If you think of it, life can be one big garden.

We thought we'd try something different; we've been wondering why you just can't get decent sized chickens anymore . . . well, I've been wondering, 'cause I'm the big chicken fan. Jeff can go ten weeks without chicken, I've gotta' have it at least once a week.

Anyway, No Frills had these big 'chickens' on sale. Good price - around six bucks and change and I was impressed, as was Jeff. We decided that's what we'd do for supper -- bake it in the oven seeing as how it's a cool day and you don't mind having the oven on.

Well, this chicken was actually a hen! And you're actually supposed to stew a hen - which I kinda' knew but stubbornly had Jeff put it in the oven anyway.

It smelled delicious as it was baking. And I ate the drumsticks, which were ok -kinda' gamey tasting, almost like a duck or a goose. The rest of the bird was tough - oh boy, was it tough.

Anyway, we added to our collection of memories this afternoon - first time we cooked a hen together.

Heh! Heh!

So I also napped after the hen supper. Then around 7 pm, it still being sunny and pleasantly cool I went out to the lot.

I started digging in around those irises - figured I might take the advice of a certain nagger who insists I've gotta' open up their space. In my opinion, those irises will open their own space - they already have, but I thought it might be a good idea anyway. It would be good to spread them out a bit.

I did get a hole dug for them - about 6 inches deep. Then there was a little conversation with that certain nagger and another tenant; there was a certain subject we were discussing and I got just a bit ticked off, because my opinion on this topic happens to be just a little different than his - he went off inside as did the other tenant.

Then the wind blew and it began to storm, reflecting my annoyance.

Yeah, guess I'm having a wee rant here. I'm up at 4:30 in the morning here - which is nothing new for me. Feel like writing a bit - have something in mind (nothing to do with this rant). Then I'll go back to bed.

I might finish my little job with the irises tomorrow afternoon - I'll most likely be sleeping in the morning.

Carly #92357 Jul 18th, 2007 at 04:27 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I don't feel good about my gardening anymore. Everything looks awful - that soil! The clay is rising to the top more than other years and the bugs! I swear there's more bugs this year!

The leaves on my plants are looking like lace!

Grrrrrrrrr!

#93317 Jul 19th, 2007 at 04:10 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I'm feeling much better!

I've cleaned up a few spots and am no longer worrying about things that don't grow. There are things that DO grow and the place still looks nice and green, so what am I worried about?

Yes, people (tenants here) might make comments to me about the compacted soil, the big jobs that I can't do and won't get done 'cause the landlord doesn't want to spend the money - they like to 'needle' me about these things.

Actually, it was only two people who were making the remarks, and one of them is a nutbar that nobody takes seriously anyway and the other one is just jealous 'cause of my good looks, superb talents, brains, personality and incredible modesty.

'Nough said.

This morning's rain was a joy - everything was green and there was a mist lifting from the ground.

I 'made hay while the rain fell'. That's right . . . figured ok - you're gonna' rain - I'm spreading seed.

I had cleared a good swath around my squares and it was pretty bald - I just mixed my turf builder (a lot better than using seed) with my soil and spread it on.

The sun came out so I went on to clean up more.

Yahoooo!

Pictures in next post.

Carly #93390 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:54 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Here's the tree around which the 'point circle' was created. I've dressed it up with a wooden rake from somebody's discards and a fake pansy cluster:

[Linked Image]

Carly #93391 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:55 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
The little patch under the light fixture is starting to fill in a bit:

[Linked Image]

There are kalanchoes, an oregano plant, a lavender and there's a few wild things too.

Carly #93393 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:56 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I cannot say I didn't get any cosmos this year . . .

[Linked Image]

Carly #93395 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:57 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I've been cleaning out my corner gardens:

[Linked Image]

This got a good trimming too.

Carly #93397 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:58 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
This is a darling sight right here . . .

[Linked Image]

Carly #93400 Jul 19th, 2007 at 07:58 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Although I no longer have any Martha Washington Geraniums in here, I still call it Washington Point:

[Linked Image]

Carly #93403 Jul 19th, 2007 at 08:00 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Yesterday I cleaned this strip beside the walking stones - it was sheer baldness when I got through - it rained a lot this morning, so I thought, make hay while the rain falls, eh?

I mixed some seed with a little topsoil and spread it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Carly #93404 Jul 19th, 2007 at 08:03 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
So, as you can see, things are going a bit better.

Carly #93516 Jul 20th, 2007 at 06:45 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Some of my pictures got deleted from my Photo Bucket - I'm re-posting them:

Art & Point Squares:

[Linked Image]

#94400 Jul 21st, 2007 at 08:41 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
It was supposed to be 5 to 10 mm, but I think it was more than that. There wasn't as much rain yesterday - just a sprinkle in the morning and it was over.

Thursday we had gallons of rain (litres, I guess?)

It was cool and breezy yesterday - I loved it.

Carly #94401 Jul 21st, 2007 at 08:42 AM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Kinda' breezy today and I was kinda' lazy - just needed the sleep, I guess. I got up around 10 am, went back to bed, read a few pages and slept till around 2 pm. Heh! Heh! Wild, eh?

We had supper around 3, then we had a reading session, and I slept a bit more.

We went out and picked up a couple of bags of top soil. Canadian Tire (yes, it's a Canadian thing) is extending their store up at the stockyards plaza - and they have their plants on half price - we got a nice sized hibiscus with lotsa' buds on it for 9 bucks.

Happy with that one. We get a hibiscus every year and keep it on our garden table outside our window.

Had the cappacino, then came home.

I'm thinking of cutting myself off that cappacino - I am experiencing pains in my midrift and abdomen, followed by some very annoying, not to mention . . . well, I'll keep that to myself and just say the pain is followed by a good sit on the can.

Vitor brought more plants home from work - 12 this time - kalanchoes again, but that's ok, they're the only plants that are surviving anyway.

I spent no time on the actual gardening, other than looking at it and admiring my own handiwork.

Today I'll finish cleaning out a portion I started at the 'art squares' and it will be a good place for some of those kalanchoes.

Pitchers later, folks. See ya' then.

Carly #95282 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 07:20 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
A lot is new:

New shirt,m for one thing -

[Linked Image]

A rose plant:

roses.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Carly #95285 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 07:21 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Another load of kals showed up Friday night:

[Linked Image]

Jeff and I finished cleaning out this part of the art squares and put 8 of them in there:

[Linked Image]

Carly #95287 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 07:22 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
A couple of my geraniums did survive after all:

[Linked Image]

Hibiscus & the new roses:

[Linked Image]

Carly #95288 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 07:23 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
More cosmos:

[Linked Image]

Carly #95291 Jul 22nd, 2007 at 07:24 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
And sorry about this slice of reality, but you know how it is - s**t happens . . .

[Linked Image]

I don't know if Skitter is the killer or not.

Carly #100888 Jul 31st, 2007 at 06:20 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
Busy Lizzy . . .

I think that's what this plant is called - it's the one in the basket. I know it grows fast and spreads - I've just kept it in a pot. I took clipping of one about six weeks ago. I'm hoping for more growth so I can put it on the lot somewhere as a 'fill'. I'd kinda' like to keep it as a house plant over the winter - I might think about that . . .

[Linked Image]

Here's a 'crop' of it - a bit fuzzy, of course, but it shows the plant up better . . .

[Linked Image]

Dark Coleus . . .

There's just a little sprig of this - I lost all my dark coleus over the winter - one of the other ladies here started up another small clipping - it hasn't done much.

[Linked Image]

Cyclamen

Here's a treat - this one has made a liar out of me - I'm always telling you the plants never last for me - well, I have three of them that are ok; this is one - it has even made a couple of new flowers. I clipped off all the dead stuff last night and put it in under the A/C to give it the shade cyclamen likes . . .

[Linked Image]

Carly #101218 Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
It's still incredibly hot - the evening was impossible too. So I'll just continue on with showing my pictures.

Here's the rock one of the neighbours gave me; she's taking art classes and did this one for me in particular:

[Linked Image]

And here's one of the sconces - I took out the wild stuff I'd planted in there - the little plants you see are some portulaca I got going from seed - I found them when I was cleaning up another planter - I wish I'd found the seedlings sooner and put them out, they would have spread a bit by now.

[Linked Image]

Carly #101219 Aug 1st, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Carly Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
And here's the first flowers that popped on the new hibiscus - it's one of the 'hardy' specimens. I'm pleased with it - especially knowing that I can put it in the ground this fall and there'll be some chance of it surviving the winter in this zone (6a):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So I'll put a few more on for today's journal (August 1st - time flies, eh?) later on tonite. We're going out for a while - gotta' see my brother - his wife is in hospital and I think he's a bit lonely. Besides, I want to check that he's looking after himself ok.

And, we need to get away for a few hours - the police and animal control have been in and out - everything's copasetic now, the worst of it being over - see my post on the unpleasant incident here a couple of nights ago, if you don't know what I'm blathering about here.

I'll see y'all either tonight or in the morning.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image