Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86109 Jul 9th, 2007 at 01:40 PM
OP Offline
My Spanish Onion is close to forming flowers at the top. Is this going to interfere with the taste? I'm not a huge onion fan, but these actually taste pretty good and they survived in my garden all winter. I don't mind letting a couple go to seed, but just wondering if I should pick the rest or what else I can do if it is going to make them not as good.

Nuria
Hi! You can still eat spanish onions that have bolted, but in my view I don’t think that they taste quite as good – maybe it has something to do with all the energy used up in producing the flowers & seeds. You should bear in mind that you need to eat bolted onions as you harvest them – they definitely can’t be stored for any length of time.
As a matter of interest, onions are actually biennials that usually go to seed in their second year. Onion sets have already completed one growing season and thus will be more sensitive to bolting, so best to buy heat-treated sets where the flowering stalk has been destroyed by high-temperature exposure.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image