Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#85313 Jul 8th, 2007 at 09:04 PM
OP Offline
I saw a post where someone mentioned they'd like to see other' Daylilies.

Examples:
[Linked Image] This one is called Painter's Splash, my hubby says it looks like a tropical flower! It has huge blooms.

[Linked Image] This is Siloam Stormy Night, very dark wine ruffle edged bloom with a darker eye just around the bright yellow throat.

[Linked Image] And this is Dominic. Another Dark one, deep deep red, almost black with gorgeous dewy looking petals and a very bright yellow throat.

Raising Daylilies is something my husband and I have been working on building and hope to one day have as a business. We would have had a greenhouse this spring, except on the way home from a Dr appt in Springfield in Feb., we were hit by a lady who was too busy talking on her cell phone to pay attention to the fact that she had a red light. (Hubby was ok thankfully, only I was hurt and am still doctoring, but I feel sure I will be ok.)

Anyway, enough of the bad stuff....on with the good stuff. Here is my picture album with some of our daylilies. I hope you enjoy them. http://groups.msn.com/LovingOurLife/daylilieshopefullyalphabetical.msnw?Page=1

If anyone is interested in learning about Daylilies, I would encourage you to check out "The Color Encyclopedia of Daylilies" by Ted L. Petit and John P. Peat, "The Daylily, A Guide for Gardeners", also by Petit and Peat, and/or "Eureka Daylily" which is a yearly publication by Ken M. Gregory. Just bear in mind that no matter what book/books you have on Daylilies, there will always be more out there than what is listed in the books. New ones are being hybridized all the time. Also, there is only so much room in a book, they couldn't possibly list all of them.

A very informative website that is a database for Daylilies is http://db.tinkersgardens.com/ I have used it quite a bit as well as provided lots of pictures of Daylilies to them.

So, when it comes to daylilies....I'd love to chat with you! ;) They are a passion of mine.

Pamela 'Grammy' Graham
Grammy_Graham #85333 Jul 8th, 2007 at 09:26 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
you have some beautiful daylilys!!! thanks for sharing your album! do these hybrids naturalize? i'd like to learn more as i'd like to have some other daylilys besides the usual orange...i bought my first hybrid just a month ago...the package is in the garage and it's too late to go look at it for the name...it's a purplish/pinkish one. i was SO looking forward to seeing the flower. got two buds on one of the plants (there were three bulbs in the package) but some animal ate them, so, no blooms this year why

i had no idea that there was a purple d'oro - i'm going to have to look for that one!!

the links you provided ARE very informative, thanks!!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #85432 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:26 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Very pretty. Hoping to buy up a bunch this fall on clearance to start up a lily bed. I only have a few.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #85436 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:42 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
shock You like lilies!!?? ;) :wink:

Sunflowers #85438 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:48 AM
Well I got as far as the "E"s. I love so far:

Apron Strings
Autumn Wood
Barbara Mitchell
Cowboys dont Cry
Dominic
Double Persimmon-Dwarf
Etched in Gold
Eye to Eye

#85589 Jul 9th, 2007 at 06:54 AM
Once again, spectacular lilies!! Do you know the name that lily of yours with the 1 foot bloom width you mentioned and where it can be ordered?

Also, I have severeal daylily plants and most of them have done well and grown into gigantic bushes with many blooms. However, one of them, the pink one, is very small, not very leafy and only has a few blooms. Do you have any tips on helping it thrive better?? Should I dig it up and replant in a different area for the next season? If so, how and when should I do this? - Tracy

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.
constantgardener #86128 Jul 9th, 2007 at 01:54 PM
OP Offline
Constantgardener, I would dig it this fall and put in a sunnier location. I have a couple I need to do that with myself. Also, if it is a drier location, or area where there are LOTS of other plants or the soil is compacting, it will also hinder it. I have some pretty whites that I wanted to have close to the house, but they are in a location that the soil is more compact (because the cat LOVES to lay there and he's made the dirt so hard!) and there are a lot of other plants with roots that like to spread all over! I give my daylilies a good fertilizer sprinkling...not a LOT or it can burn them... in the spring when they are starting to pop up (like a 13-13-13) and then 3 weeks later do it again, and then put down Osmocote or Sam's Choice time release fertilizer to help them for a few months.

The Oriental was called Mixed Pastel Oriental, and I think I got it from either Brecks or Gurneys....possibly Springhill. Sorry I can't be more specific on the where, but I'll see if I can find it.

Wrennie you are SOOOO funny!! LOL

Iheartflowers, you did pick out a bunch of really lovely ones!!

Tamara, one suggestion I'd make is when marking them, those little tags never seem to hold the name. Take the marker, put the name on it and then spray clear coat (like the cheap wal-mart kind) over it. It will seal the name on there. Then in a couple years you won't have to wonder what it is. Good luck with the plants! When you plant them, fluff out the roots a bit, as usually by clearance time they are quite root bound. Also, if you can separate them some, and say there is 4 in a pot of the same thing, separate them, and plant them in a group about 2-3" apart. They like that for some reason and while they are doing their thing over winter, when spring comes, you will normally have many more than just those 4. I had several I planted last year with 2 plants, but I separated them and this year I had 15-20. (I also grow in raised beds filled with a mix I make but not actual dirt. It has Black Forest Mushroom Compost, screened sanitized Top Soil (only about 10 bags in a 4x16' bed), Potting mix, potting dirt, and mostly professional mix. Then where I'm planting I add in terra crystals (like soil moist) to help keep the moisture down near the roots for when they need it. Put them around in the bottom of the hole and mix around so they aren't right against the roots so they won't rot them)

Thank you all for your compliments.

Pamela 'Grammy' Graham
Grammy_Graham #86251 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:38 PM
Fantastic! Thanks for all the helpful info Grammy. I'm gonna start hunting for that Mixed Pastel Oriental...

Life can be crazy. Digging in the dirt keeps me sane.
constantgardener #87199 Jul 10th, 2007 at 09:28 PM
OP Offline
You're welcome, always happy to help!

Pamela 'Grammy' Graham

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image