Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#78655 Jun 29th, 2007 at 06:36 AM
Loveday Offline OP
OP Offline
my love and i just got a house on a double lot in a beautiful neighborhood. yaaaayyyy! it has a huge yard and i want green comfy grass whereas right now it has spots of brown, almost dead grass and wispy weeds. i was wondering what the cheapest way to seed it is and keep it green? what's the littlest i can water it and still have green grass? what's a good grass seed for full sun? i should mention that i live in the high desert of oregon so it's intensely hot sun here during the summer. as for my landscaping, i'm going to try and stick to more native plants and flowers so as not to waste water, but when it comes to grass, i want it so bad, high destert or not! :wink: ANY suggestions would be awesome! thanks guys!

Be HAPPY, be HEALTHY, and be FREE!
Loveday #78799 Jun 29th, 2007 at 09:02 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Start by building yourself a cystern. Or getting yourself a water buffalo. Not the animal the mobile tank lol. Burmuda grass is full sun and hot but it is not a soft pretty grass and invasive past permission.

I've forgotten what they use on the golf courses but I think that would be your best bet.

But if you want it to stay green your going to have to find a way to water it. I'm thinking if you are high desert that you will be taking trips to the ocean and then desalting it with solar power.

It certainly isn't affordable to water on city water anymore.

[Linked Image]
Loveday #80718 Jul 2nd, 2007 at 05:18 AM
Well, I don't know how much help I will be, but I recently experimented with a patch in my backyard that got some sun, but I am assuming the previous neighbors just did not want to deal with it. I divided the patch into two sections...In one section, I used Pennington Seeds Penkoted Fall Sun & Shade mixture, in the other section, I used Scotts Patchmaster Sun & Shade All in one. Well, let me just say that the Pennington was pretty much grown within a week and a half, while I am still waiting for the Scotts to fully fill in. The patches are right next to each other, so they were watered the same amount of time. So, if I had to recommend a seed, I would recommend whatever penkoted seed Pennington offers for your region.
As far as watering, the average your grass will need is an inch of water a week to remain green. Depending on the intensity of your heat, you may need to water more.

I have an image. I will try to post it shortly...

Look For the Good
Search For The Truth
Hope for The Best
Curious Nick #83018 Jul 5th, 2007 at 08:16 PM
What's penkoted? I'm getting ready to put grass and stepping stones under a large oak through our shade garden. I've checked out the local sod and found one that seems to suit our needs, but I wonder what the benefits are to seeding rather than using sod. Any thoughts?

Julianne
Julianne #84367 Jul 7th, 2007 at 09:00 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
seeding is cheaper, and penkoted grass seed is less tasty to birds and not as likely to wash away. when i lived in fl though, i used plugs. cost was between the two, and the area filled in very well, very quickly.

the main advantage to sod is the virtually instant lawn.

#85279 Jul 8th, 2007 at 08:28 PM
Since my last post I've been back to the stores and still no decent availible sod. Or plugs. So I checked about seed and it's very limited and all for sun except one that says it's specially mixed for our region. I'm not sure what to do. One thought was to appeal to the plant department manager to make a deal for the partial or broken pieces of sod. After all, I'm going to arrange them around stepping stones, they don't necessarily have to be perfect. Can anyone suggest a good online site?

Julianne
Julianne #85445 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:57 AM
I can't help you with your seed type but when I had a patch that had to be regrown due to cutting down a shade tree (about 15 ft by 15 ft area), I used the seed patch with fertilizer mulch mixed (the green stuff). But I put straw over the area as well and watered every day. It was a full sun area but I am not high desert. The straw seemed to keep it in place when watering and maybe helped with naughty birds, it grew in quite nicely, took about a month.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image