Rate Thread
#84740 Jul 8th, 2007 at 11:06 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts

...on the bottom of it's leaves.

I received this plant along with 10 kolanchoe cuttings at church today. I'm sorry I don't have a picture. I believe it is a house plant. It is kind of like a cross between a palm and a vine in it's growth habits. And the leaves look like orchid leaves being blade like and extending from a center stem.

It was so rootbound that it had eaten all the soil out of it's pot. And it was bone dry so I divided it. And then put it in two new posts with the best potting soil I have. It isn't new but it is literally all I have right now.

And I gave them both a good drink of water. I hope it will recover. I also took all the brown leaves off of it and cut the brown parts of leaves off.

[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
probably wandering jew zebrina. google it, i'm sure you will find that that is it.

#84773 Jul 8th, 2007 at 11:37 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I googled it but this isn't the same plant. The plant I have has leaves that are solid green on top and solid puple on the underside.

And I really could not describe the one I have as a vine which a wandering jew certainly is. I had one when I was a kid so I know what they look like.

Thankyou very much for trying to identify it. I bet it is closely related to the wandering jew.

[Linked Image]
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
there are more than a few types of wandering jew. moses in a boat/oyster plant is a type and, from your description, it sounds like what you've got.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

variegated variety:
[Linked Image]

Zone 6b
Joclyn #85422 Jul 9th, 2007 at 04:04 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's the second one. Woohoo, that is it. Is that the oyster plant? Do you have any information on it's care and feeding? I've never had one before and I would like them to do well. They will make great presents.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image