Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84130 Jul 7th, 2007 at 02:46 PM
OP Offline
I had to do this out of necessity as I missed the last leaf pick up by the village, it was an odd year, leaves hung on the trees a little long. So I decided to quick make a leaf compost bin with four t-posts and 4' chicken wire. All my leaves filled the bin to the top. By the spring it had dropped down to about 10-12" high, I turned it a couple of times and it really broke down nicely. I get about a heaping wheelbarrow of compost (with big fat happy earthworms) a year with my leaves.

In case anyone was thinking about trying it. It's simple and it works.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by iheartflowers; Jul 7th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
nice! First time BF saw mee fill my compost with leaves he thought theyd take forever to break down. Suprise gone by spring. (pretty much) He even had the nerve last year to say we have too much compost. till the spring when I used ALL of it, and he couldnt even tell where. Non-gardeners just don't know all the dirt! lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Very nice! I didn't know leaves would break down so rapidly all by themselves. That's really good to know. What kind of light and water does that area get where your leaf bin is?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
OP Offline
It gets afternoon sun. I don't water it. I let the snow/rain take care of it. Its located at the back of my garage.

Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
And, because it is behind your garage and presumably away from your house, you are not bothered by the type of mold that can be produced by leaves under the snow?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
1k Posts
1k Posts
I think that's an awesome idea !
I've never seen a compost heap and I thought that it's a hole or a pile of debris cooking in the sun.
A very tidy idea !

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Merme
And, because it is behind your garage and presumably away from your house, you are not bothered by the type of mold that can be produced by leaves under the snow?

Merme

I'm a lucky person, I'm not allergic to anything, so no thoughts to that. I put it behind the garage so I didn't have to look at it. (hee hee).

Now why did't I think of that? Probably because I am a blonde, lol. I have been trying to find a way to keep my leaves out of the yard in piles to break down and not have to bag them, but the landlord is getting tired of looking at all the piles. This is ingenious!!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!

Uni

5k Posts
5k Posts
looks great!

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image