Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84028 Jul 7th, 2007 at 11:22 AM
OP Offline
Hi there, everybody! This is my first post. I live in Oregon near Portland and my zone is somewhere between 7-9. Two years ago I bought a gardenia and it is still in the pot it came in. It has been very successful and this year it is covered with flowers. My question is, do I need to re-pot it or should I plant it in the ground? It is growing outside. I must be doing something right (by accident) and I don't want to ruin it. I think I will give it a little boost of iron, though. Thanks.

pestomama #84264 Jul 7th, 2007 at 07:56 PM
D Offline
Welcome Pestomama

Glad to hear your Gardenia is doing so well. I bought one and after a year it's till in the pot it came in. At first it didnt do so well but I kept it anyway thinking it would eventually die. This spring it came out of my greenhouse looking better. It continues to do better and better but not fantastic enough to bloom. I've concluded they may be tempramental and need extra TLC (which I dont do alot of to my plants) As for advice on whether to plant in the ground or not, I can only recommend u do some homework so u can know where it would be best to plant and how to proceed in continuing the care of it. I wish u luck; hopefully oneday I'll be able to feel mine is healthy enough to plant also.

D

D #84335 Jul 7th, 2007 at 08:36 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
If it's doing so well I would definitely leave it alone. Gardenias are so difficult, I'd say if you've lucked out on a happy one don't upset it !
A bit of iron chelate would be OK, but I'd use half the recommended dose. I always greatly dilute plant foods and additives for my container plants.

Last edited by DeborahL; Jul 7th, 2007 at 08:37 PM.
DeborahL #84467 Jul 7th, 2007 at 11:06 PM
I too, would leave it alone. I got a beautiful gardenia from my father-in-law who is a wonderful gardener. We put it out too soon, and it froze. Before it froze, it was blooming beautifully. It's taken MONTHS to get it back to beautiful.

Anyway, it's great that your plant is doing so well! I would leave it alone until you have an issue with it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in August
Gardening in September
Gardening in October

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,283
Posts239,219
Average Daily Posts5
Members15,994
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
chazbo 1
Random Gallery Image