Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#83442 Jul 6th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
Piper Offline OP
OP Offline
I have several Asiatic Lilies ... I think. They're the one's that get the little black seeds in the crook of the leaves. How can I tell when it's time to take the seeds to plant else where? I have tried in the past but haven't had much luck.

Piper #83449 Jul 6th, 2007 at 05:48 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I think the lilies you have are tiger lilies, or turk's cap lilies. Try googling pics. If they are tiger lilies, those black things on the leave axle (where leave meets stem) are bulblets, or tiny bulbs. You can pick them off and plant them. The first year, you will only see a leave. The second year, they will develop a stem. The third year the stem will continue to grow and if you'r elucky you'll have a bloom

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #84909 Jul 8th, 2007 at 01:52 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Do ur Lilys look like this [Linked Image]
if so u can select two parent lilys in color range u like to mix,
Collect the pollen from daylily with a cotton swab and apply it to the stamens of the other lily and tag the pollinated one with a twist tie
Once the daylily flowers and forms a seed pod that opens collect seeds that are black shiny and plump store in a freezer bag in refrigerator for 6 to 8 weeks Sow the seeds in containers filled with potting soil in a sunny location keep watered transplant seedings to selected location

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image