Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#82882 Jul 5th, 2007 at 01:01 PM
OP Offline
Community Garden Tours

Our community had their annual garden tour a couple of weekends ago and WOW! Do I have a lot of work ahead of me!!

I've posted pictures on my Webshots site (link above). Note that there are different "albums" for the six different gardens. There was a wonderful variety of garden styles, from classic to kitchy, from sun to shade. You can view the pictures one after the other, or view in "slide show" format. It was amazing to see what a LOT of hard work and some creativity can produce!

Enjoy!

Sandy R.
slredmond #82910 Jul 5th, 2007 at 02:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow! Some very nice pictures Sandy! I wish my yard could look like some of then! But, it takes a lot of hard work, time and money! Maybe someday! thumbup

#82950 Jul 5th, 2007 at 05:17 PM
The Hansen residence is gorgeous! Those flower beds are enviable. I liked their garden the best. The Hoxworth was my second favorite. What an honor to be chosen, and very stressful I would think.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

There was one photo of a grouping of pink asiatic lilies, they were breathtaking.

iheartflowers #83367 Jul 6th, 2007 at 11:03 AM
OP Offline
Aren't they amazing?! I agree, I can't imagine the stress getting ready for it. An open HOUSE is one thing - you can clean up and paint, etc. - but you can't force Mother Nature to behave!

Here are the (abbreviated) descriptors:

St Joseph Catholic Church - This garden was designed to create a warm, inviting and informal setting for meditation and prayer. Tucked into a protected area of brick adorned buildings and fence is a garden of bright daylilies and vibrant lime to blue-green hostas, blue iris, and many other perennials and ground covers (more than 1,000 in all).

Foster - Cynde calls her gardening sytle "eclectic cottage gardening." The garden is a hodgepodge of plants and colors with garden ornamentation everywhere. Her garden art is unique in that she recycles ordinary and antique found items into containers and statuary.

Hoxworth - With 15 years into her Cottage American style garden, she strives to have interest in all seasons. There are many varieties of Viburbum. She has a fire pit, ponds, arbors, a fountain and waterfall as well as benches with panoramic views of the colorful displays.

Harvey (my personal favorite!) - It is primarily a shade garden blended into a natural wooded lot. Actively gardening for teh last 10 years, they were influenced by an interest in hostas and being outdoors. Their collection of hostas numbers more than 200 varieties. Many woody ornamentals including a paw paw patch, a pond with a waterfall, garden areas accented by stones and bolders, container gardens, a trellis, a pergola, and fire pit and architectural features are incorporated into this beautiful setting.

Bauserman - She started out in her backyard with plantings around the house and fence area. Things kept getting bigger. With a lot of shade in that area, she became a hosta collector and has over a hundred different varieties. They are intereplanted with other shade loving perennials including ferns, ornamental lilies, foam flowers and astilbe, some in a hear shaped garden. A sunny front yard includes a kidney shaped rose garden with 18 varieties of roses outlined by a mini boxwood hedge. Everywhere you turn is a spot of beauty and places to sit and ponder.

Hansen - The natural ambiance and a touch of the tropics reflects the owner's native Philippines origin. With a cottage style in mind they planted around all sides of their home incorporating a small waterfall, perennials and exotic annuals. Accents in the garden are a gazebo, benches and water fountains. The finishing touch is Tiki torches around the swimming pool.

Sandy R.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image