Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#7717 Mar 29th, 2007 at 03:43 AM
OP Offline
My livingstone daisies have germinated and are now about 7 days old. They came up on the fourth day. The trouble is there are so many of them in each little tray and they are so tiny i dont know if i should transplant them or not. How could i do this?

Also, my pansies are 8 days old and still havent germinated. I have them infront of a window but i read they need darkness to germinate. Is this true?

Convolvulus #7744 Mar 29th, 2007 at 04:24 AM
MLN Offline
Can't help you with the pansies--never grown them before. But anytime you have tiny seedlings that are crowded, the best thing to do is take a pair of sewing or toenail scissors and carefully clip out all but the strongest plant. If they are real small like yours, I normally leave two or three in each pot and let them grow a little bigger before I choose the one I plan to keep. Just make sure you have some growing room between the ones you keep.

[Linked Image]
Nature Lover
MLN #8148 Mar 29th, 2007 at 10:09 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
It is much too early to transplant them. You need to wait until they have at least 2 sets of true leaves...those are the ones that appear after the intial set of leaves when they first germinate. Then as mentioned you can cut some them back.

Pansies do need darkness to germinate. Some people wrap moist newpaper around them to keep out the light. You'll just need to check every few days to see if they need water.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #8190 Mar 29th, 2007 at 10:30 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Does anyone clip the tomatos now if their tall?

Just wondering?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image