Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
A couple years ago my hubby and kids bought me one of those cool covered swings at WalMart.. you know the kind with the frame and the awning type thing over it.. anyway, the awning ripped long ago... the sun and weather finally 'killed' the cushions and the canvas that the cushions sat on.. I was sitting there looking at it yesterday and thinking.. :/ Scary huh? lol What if I took the swing off.. and used the frame, which has pretty scroll work in the metal, as a type of Arbor.. I thought it might look really nice to find a stone bench to sit underneath it and plant different climbing flowers at each of the four legs..

I don't know if I have the awning frame still.. but if I do, I thought about stringing something between the front and back beams on it.. so it would spread/climb up onto it too, creating a bit of shade.

What do you guys think?? I said this to my husband and he just looked at me like, "you have your pond, aren't you satisfied?!" lol He said not a word, but I could just 'tell' what he was thinking.. :P

I even know right where I would put it.. though we will have to move the portable basketball hoop that my daughter has there.. lol I am excited.. tell me your thoughts!!!!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I think it would/could be lovely. Don't put a heavy vine like wisteria on it. Morning glories would be good.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
No, no Wisteria.. I was thinking more along the lines of Clematis in a couple colors, Morning Glory and maybe a Trumpet Vine of some kind.. I am not sure really. I have never had any climbers!! shock

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Is it in full sun? If so climbing roses would be pretty.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
What colours are you thinking of for flower blooms?

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I honestly don't know Tamara.. just some pretty ones.. I thought about planting one flower at each leg.. and we did find the awning frame, so I could also run some sting from the back of it down to the bottom where there is a support bar across the back.. so stuff could climb the back too.. I am really excited.

It is full sun.. til about 5 p.m. or so anyway.

What would you suggest? I had thought about Clematis, but does it require a good bit of shade? I have never had it before.. so I have no idea. lol

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Clematis come is a variety of cultivators. Some like more shade some more sun. Most require that you cover their roots so they stay cool and moist.

Heronswood nursery has a great selection of vines and is probably a great place to start your research.

[Linked Image]
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
thumbup i love the idea. i'm planning on doing the same thing with my swing when the top goes out on it!

I like the idea and agree with the clematis. Can you grow mandevilla where you are? It's more a shade vine, grows quickly and has beautiful large petuna-like flowers. The large-ish dark evergreen leaves are a wonderful contrast. Maybe passion flowers? Or have you tried a loofa plant?

Julianne
The climbing roses suggestion sounds good as well.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thanks for the ideas!! I kind of like the idea of the climbing roses..

Another thing I probably should consider here, I need something that is relatively fast growing.. since it is already July.. rspb Any suggestions in that department?? Thanks. wavy

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
You could just plant scarlet runner beans also(for this year). They grow fast with beautiful red flowers and you get to pick and eat the beans.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Ok, well, the good news is, I got the swing moved where I wanted it, mulched and put large stones around the area that match what is around my pond.. the bad news is, I think I am gonna give up on the idea of getting anything to growing there yet this year. tears It is already almost mid July.. and I just don't know if it would be worth it to try.

I DID like the runner beans idea Tamara!! I had no idea those even existed. lol But I don't know where I would get them.. especially now.. even WalMart has sent all their seeds back. Bleh.. Oh well.. it looks nice over there anyway.. maybe I will toss in some annuals just for something to grow there for the rest of the season.

And I still gotta get me a bench. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image