Print Thread
Rate Thread
#80080 Jun 30th, 2007 at 08:54 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
The other day I was at WalMart and I found a gorgeous rose of the climbing variety... the flowers on it were a bright, almost neon, orange,pink,yellow... it kind of faded to yellow from orange from the centers.. it was sooo pretty.. and I wanted it so bad.. I put it in my cart, not once, but twice.. and I put it back.. I didn't buy it. tears

I have never had a rose before, and I have no idea how to take care of one.. I really liked the idea of a climbing one.. can anyone tell me if the climbers are easier to care for than the standard rose bushes that seem to require SOOO much TLC? Thanks!! wavy

Pinkhorseofcourse #80097 Jun 30th, 2007 at 11:47 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
all i do with my roses is trim them back a bit in early spring, water if there hasn't been rain for a bit and treat for black spot (every couple of weeks). i also put down a good thick layer of crushed leaves for the winter.

the only thing i do that i consider real work is cutting off the dead blooms so that they will re-bloom.

all my roses are thriving.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #80098 Jun 30th, 2007 at 11:52 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. really? I thought they were hard to care for? why

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Climbing roses are tough, I'm in zone 4 and they survive easily. Just plant it against something to climb against, make sure it gets full sun.

I don't even fertilize mine. I planted a new one because my old one broke when the cedar fence it was against fell over. I have buds on it already.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #81408 Jul 3rd, 2007 at 05:22 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
They are easy.better go back and get those roses.buy a bag of peat moss& cow manure to ammend your growing hole with(2x2 hole).rose fertilizer/rose insecticidal spray.you'll be set.roses need 6 hours of sun at least and morning sun is better.The hybrid teas useually need more care cause always trimming to keep in bloom,but are really not that much more work.some roses only bloom once.some are fragrant.In the winter you'll want to mulch with about 9 inches of mulch.And we are always here to help ya!

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #81632 Jul 3rd, 2007 at 11:14 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the hardest part of roses is deadheading the climbers - they can have groups of 1/2 dozen blooms ALL OVER. a few bloom at a time, so deadheading can become a daily thing.

otherwise, they getcha TONS of compliments - and that's something that makes any effort worthwhile!! grin

Zone 6b
Joclyn #83143 Jul 6th, 2007 at 07:22 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I won't say I deadhead daily,but maybe every 3-4 days.I got certain things I'm good about deadheading(zinnias,B&B salvia,my aloha rose,spent cannas,brugmansia leaves,coneflowers,daylillys)my other roses when they finish blooming I'll cut them back(unless are burried in B&B salvia& zinnias...I've missed 2 total complete blooms)
I fertilize.healthy plant lessens blackspot.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #85887 Jul 9th, 2007 at 10:02 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I get blackspot like crazy on my roses. I am trying neem oil for the first time ever. its supposed to keep all fungus and pests away. just spray every 2 weeks til the risk of your plants getting it are all gone.

Don't be afraid of roses,Pinkhorse!!mine make me soooo happy. just looking at the beautiful blooms,and scents that came from a plant that I grew myself.
My theory is, every time my husband makes me really mad, I go get myself a new rose plant to cheer myself up.
besides,if you don't go back to get them,youre just gonna keep thinking about them and regret not buying them anyway. RIGHT??!!!!!

why torture yourself........

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image