Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#48235 May 20th, 2007 at 05:22 AM
Nobby Offline OP
OP Offline
I am thinking of alternating some roses with six lavender plants that I have in a narrow border next to a garden path. Any suggestions as to suitable roses?

'There are no problems, only solutions"
Nobby #48585 May 20th, 2007 at 06:17 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
pink would look good& are some with colors close to lavendar

Angelwings is a nice rose.blooms almost non stop.they grow 1 1/2 to 2 ft tall.I've seen it grown with lavendar,so know it looks great.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #49976 May 22nd, 2007 at 08:36 PM
roses and Lavender are not usually recommended as companion plants due to their opposing needs.

Lavender likes sandy, lean soil and does not need large amounts of moisture or excessive amounts of fertilizer. Lavender can handle some drought after it is established.

roses need well enriched loam soil, lots of watering and are heavy feeders. Consistent moisture is probably the number one requirement of roses.

Moist soil for roses means bad news for the roots of lavender which are prone to root rot and fungus if they constantly sit in wet soil.

Can you plant these two fragrant beauties in beds across from each other rather than in the same bed? Like on both sides of a path? That way you get the look, fragrance and healthy plants.

herbalyn #80081 Jun 30th, 2007 at 08:56 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. that combo sounds beautiful!! flwr Even if it isn't very practical.. per herbalyn's information. why

Pinkhorseofcourse #90994 Jul 16th, 2007 at 04:24 AM
Nobby Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you all for the advice.

I had thought of planting the lavender and roses together because it is a combination that I have seen in English gardens very often.

I am trying a miniature rose, 'Top Marks' that has a lovely burnt orange colour and I'll see how it fares!!!!!! If it looks as if it is stuggling I'll more it to a more luscious spot.

The Angelwings looks beautiful and I've ordered a couple of plants to either add to the lavender or put in another rose worthy spot if necessary.

Best wishes and thanks again!

'There are no problems, only solutions"
Nobby #90997 Jul 16th, 2007 at 04:29 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I plant anything anywhere. That's the fun of gardening, if something dies then it's a lesson learned and I just replace it with something else.

I've got lavender in rich topsoil(my yard was once a hay field) and it does wonderfully. You never know til you try.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image