Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#79217 Jun 29th, 2007 at 07:03 PM
OP Offline
i have to hang all of my plants from the ceiling because my sweetie Paco, won't stop eating them. i bought a new peace lily with a plant stand for the entry way of my apt. and he ate at it. so i put my philodendron green and he also ate at it. is there something that i can spray on my plants that wont kill my plant or the cat? :mad: is there maybe something i can plant for him to eat on? why

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
catnip or cat mint. get a couple of established plants, right now is a good time to get them from a garden center, and put them where he can reach them, alternating them (to give them time to recover) he'll thank you and so will the rest of your plants. also, do you have a sisal rope scratching pole? that can help too.

#79626 Jun 30th, 2007 at 08:36 AM
TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Grass. Regular lawn grass in a flatish pot so he can sit onit. cat grass, which is just wheat grass. The chlorophyll helps in their digestion.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I just wanted to add that you should be careful when you first give your cat grass - especially if it's an indoor cat. Whenever we have tried that to deter them from my indoor plants, unfortunately each one has gotten a bad case of diarrhea. I know that cats love grass and it's supposed to be good for their digestion - but I don't give it to mine because each one I've had, has had this reaction.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
thanks for the response. i was looking at all of the cutesy things you knit and crochet. i do too. thanks for sharing. www.myspace.com/crochethooka

TweetyBird
10k Posts
TweetyBird
10k Posts
You crochet etc too! Cool! Me too!
Have you ever visited crochetville.org they're a nice bunch too.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
WOW - did you crochet that first afghan on the top right in your myspace?
It's absolutely gorgeous!!!

And welcome to another NYer! I was born in Brooklyn, and both my parents grew up in Bensonhurst. My mother's mother lived there until she passed away at 99 and 10 months in 1996.

So, do you have any other pets?
Are you able to do any outside gardening, or is it strictly houseplants?
We all love both here.

Have any pictures to share?

(I know... too many questions - sorry!)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
hello and sorry i haven't visited in such a long time. my cat is still eating my plants. i have to put them all up high. and its a drag because i cant put them where i want to. right now my peace lily is not looking to good because she likes warm temps and i can't keep near the window where the warm air and sun come in. she is constantly in the ac and her tips are turning brown. is this the problem-the air conditioner or is there another problem that you might know about. some of her leaves are turning yellow too.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi again - welcome back!

I'm sorry to say that I am not the one to advise you on peace lilies - I've not had great luck with the few I had, and don't have any currently.

It could be the AC that is causing some brown tips and yellowing on your plant. Is it getting enough light? Water?

Sorry about the cat - only 1 of my 3 eat my plants, and she is pretty particular in which ones. Unfortunately, this is the price we catlovers have to pay...

Have you tried the cat grass yet?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
yes i'ved tried grass and it made him lose some of his fur around the neck area.

3k Posts
3k Posts
I have 3 cats. My way of detering them away from the plant pots is to drop orange or lemon peel in the soil around the plats.
I hope it works for you.

[Linked Image]
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I'm glad that worked for you cats, Glenda.
The only thing that did for me was to bring lots of those "no-see-um" bugs to those plants!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image