Rate Thread
#79137 Jun 29th, 2007 at 03:39 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Does anyone know the difference in the recipes for elbow macaroni and spaghetti noodles? Why do elbows (and other noodles) taste good eaten cold with mayo but spaghetti does not?

Or, if anyone isn't exactly sure, anybody care to make a wild guess?

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #79160 Jun 29th, 2007 at 04:57 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Do you mean the hollow spaghetti noodles or the regular kind, Merme?

Never really thought about the cold spaghetti salad, maybe because hollow noodles are thinner and absorb a better flavour? Stumped on that one..

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #79174 Jun 29th, 2007 at 05:17 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Regular kind of spaghetti noodles. This is so amusing! I was going to leave you a post in Banter to ask you to come look at this question for me! Then I came here and you've already been!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #79186 Jun 29th, 2007 at 06:08 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
shock

Maybe we just think it does???????????? I never tried spagetti with mayonaise .
But noodles with spaghetti sauce tastes good>>>>>>>>

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #79201 Jun 29th, 2007 at 06:48 PM
The answer is that certain pasta shapes lend themselves to certain sauces. I have eaten cold spaghetti pasta salad but it had an oil and pepper sauce. Cold mayo type sauces work best with the smaller shapes of pasta but any of them are ok. And when serving large numbers at a party a small pasta is less messy and easier to serve than a long pasta. Delicate sauces work best with angel hair and obviously alfredo sauce is always served with thick fettucini. Linguini clings with tomato cream sauce well and the medium pastas work best with baked marinara sauce- like penne, mini lasagna, mostaccioli. Pesto sticks best to vermicelli in my opinion. But with all this said any sauce can be served with the pasta you like best.

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Last night, just as I was leaving the forum to go research the various ingredients of noodles and macaroni, I received a very enlightening PM from Papito. I had been thinking perhaps the difference in texture had to do with the semolina but didn't know where to take it from there. So, Papito gave me a helpful heads up that I later was able to track down in more detail.

Basically, here is the dif:

High grade macaroni is made from the gluten part of DURUM WHEAT or spring WHEAT. This gluten is also known as Semolina and Farina and is produced from the most nutriticous part of the wheat kernel. And, it is mixed with water.

ALL macaroni and kindred products are made of semolina and not more than 13 1/2 percent of moisture. IF any macaroni or kindred products are made of flour rather than semolina, it must be labelled "FLOUR MACARONI".

As for NOODLES...

Noodles MUST contain not less than 5% by weight of the solids of the whole sound egg, exclusive of the shell in order to be classified as Noodles. If noodles are prepared without eggs they must be labelled either "Plain Noodles" or "Water Noodles"

So, Macaroni and kindred products are Semolina and water.
Noodles must contain eggs.

That probably accounts for the differences in taste as well as ultimate texture when cooked and/or cooled.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Jun 30th, 2007 at 07:57 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #81375 Jul 2nd, 2007 at 08:57 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Last night, just as I was leaving the forum to go research the various ingredients of noodles and macaroni, I received a very enlightening PM from Papito. I had been thinking perhaps the difference in texture had to do with the semolina but didn't know where to take it from there. So, Papito gave me a helpful heads up that I later was able to track down in more detail.

Basically, here is the dif:

High grade macaroni is made from the gluten part of DURUM WHEAT or spring WHEAT. This gluten is also known as Semolina and Farina and is produced from the most nutriticous part of the wheat kernel. And, it is mixed with water.

ALL macaroni and kindred products are made of semolina and not more than 13 1/2 percent of moisture. IF any macaroni or kindred products are made of flour rather than semolina, it must be labelled "FLOUR MACARONI".

As for NOODLES...

Noodles MUST contain not less than 5% by weight of the solids of the whole sound egg, exclusive of the shell in order to be classified as Noodles. If noodles are prepared without eggs they must be labelled either "Plain Noodles" or "Water Noodles"

That probably accounts for the differences in taste as well as ultimate texture when cooked and/or cooled.

Merme

Very intersting information merme, i only hope I can remember it all blush_-- FYI: i have had a cold spaghetti salad, i believe the binder was italian dressing. what was done for ease of serving was to break up the spaghetti into about 2 inch pieces before cooking- it worked well.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #81658 Jul 3rd, 2007 at 12:47 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
i have had a cold spaghetti salad, i believe the binder was italian dressing. what was done for ease of serving was to break up the spaghetti into about 2 inch pieces before cooking- it worked well.

That is my point exactly, Carol! Whenever I've seen spaghetti served cold, it has been with a vinegar/oil or Italian dressing type sauce, never mayo

Originally Posted by Merme

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Jul 3rd, 2007 at 12:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image