Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#77379 Jun 27th, 2007 at 08:06 AM
OP Offline
my pond used about four different pieces of liner, they added up to about 500-600 square feet,(as you can see I folded a lot up rather than cut it because I may want to make the pond bigger some day) I only used about half of what I had to begin with, and I still have some (sold some) but the whole thing only cost $50! the liner is proper rubber liner but it was recycled roof membrane from a commercial flat roof system (you know the ones with the gravel on them) I got it at my local construction material recycler place, it weighed in around 300 lbs! and it took 5 guys to put it in the van! so if you're looking to build a pond try one of those "renovator resource" or demolition places.... [Linked Image]

I'm so glad to see your pond!! My husband wants to build one, but estimates one about that size, with a waterfall, to be WAY OUT of our price range.

1)When you say "recycled roof membrane" does that mean it had been pulled up, and had gravel on it?

2) You said 3-4 pieces--does that mean you have seams across the pond? How did you seal it?

Thanks for the info and pics!

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah
gardenermom #78143 Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:18 AM
OP Offline
mine was four pieces simply because one piece was the pond and the next was the top river the next was below the falls, etc. I did'nt glue anything but I simply overlapped it in such a way so the water would simply flow over the seam and down the stream. the rubber is the roof covering that they use just below the pebble layer, not all roof systems are done the same way and not all roof membranes are like the pond liner stuff you would maybe want to take a small piece of pond liner to a recycler to see if they have anything like it....(you can use other stuff for a pond liner as well but this stuff is pretty tough. and somewhat easy to come by, especially if you live near a large metropolitan area...
actually if you were to go to a local commercial roofer they may have old pieces or maybe the stuff is'nt too much brand new?

Last edited by dan@modernblacksmith; Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:21 AM.
Thanks, Dan. I'll check on that. It would be great if we could get some and get our pond built THIS summer!

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah
gardenermom #78473 Jun 28th, 2007 at 07:10 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
loz's ponds are that same material. her husband was a roofer, and her brother in law still is.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image