Rate Thread
#77830 Jun 28th, 2007 at 04:47 AM
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Tuesday night BF and I went down to the stream to get in a cool wade and maybe catch some dinner.
Upstream, That pile of gravelly rock on the left was a smooth rock ledge last year. You never know how the spring floods will 'rearrange the furniture'!
[Linked Image]

Downstream

[Linked Image]

Marton in his tackle box
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
Then we moved further upstream. As we were thinking of going home we saw something in the water. Whats that?? Is it a small snake, a turtle? It was a few yards down stream from us. It would be still then move erradically and sorta' flounder around. Marton said is it a bug? So I had to run and see. As I got close, I saw a big dragonfly had somehow ended up in the water. Maybe he got too close, a bird swoop at him & hit him in? I dont know. So I ran into the water, not an easy feat on slippery rocks, every step I took seemed to push him a bit farther out into the stream, I stepped in front of him{downstream} reached for him.... and thought, uh oh he's going to 'bite' (pinch) me. He was big mind you! Got brave, reached again.... uh, no. Looked for something for him to climb on. No time to run back out of the stream and get a stick. Now he was almost at a rock, oh good he'll grab on.... Not! The current took him around it. shock Oh no! So, as he neared the next rock that was poking out of the water, I held out my pant leg and cornered him next to it. He very gratefully grabbed onto the fabric and hoisted himself out of the water. Yay!! grin Now I had to walk out of the water without knocking him back off.(the pants are a lightweight knit tee shirt type fabric, very swooshy.) Ok Wrennie, hold the pantleg, don't swing him around too much, don't fall on the rocks, don't knock him off, where is the shore anyway? So we get onto shore, I pick up my wine {when did I put that down?} I walk to Marton to show him. Mr Dragonfly, who I decided looked like a Herbert, kept shaking his wings to try to dry them. The front pair dried, the back were still wet. We had to get going, so I coaxed Herbert onto a stick and left him on a fallen tree to dry. I hope he flew off.

Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Well Hi Herbert!!! Nice seeing you!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
What a nice story Wrennie!!!

And what a beautiful place to be!!!!! Looks like where I use to go camping and gold panning!! Geez, I miss that so much!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
#78074 Jun 28th, 2007 at 08:42 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Very nice pics Wrennie! Thanks for sharing!!

#78184 Jun 28th, 2007 at 10:41 AM
I think herbert could help you catch a fish! (but unfortunatly that would involve putting a fishhook through him) ;(

Wrennie Offline OP
TweetyBird
10k Posts
OP Offline
TweetyBird
10k Posts
shock Fly Herbert fly!!!!!!!!
I'd rather keep him around to eat the mosquito larvae!! grin

Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
Dragonflies use to sit on my gold pan and watch! Blue, green and red ones. They'd also sit on my knees and give me little dragonfly kisses!
Very ticklish!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i agree, he does look like a herbert. and nice rescue job!

#79634 Jun 30th, 2007 at 08:49 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Great story and pictures!!! A wonderful adventure for sure - thanks for sharing!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image