Print Thread
Rate Thread
#75494 Jun 24th, 2007 at 07:26 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
we planted 4 shade treeshere at our new home, here in 2005. The 2 in the front are definately hard maples. Their name is red sunset or some such (I cannot find the paperwork on them, sorry) and the 2 in back are supposed to be hard maples, but I am skeptical--they are Autumn Blaze maples.
I am having a problem with them---All 4 trees have healthy happy looking limbs & leaves---BUT all 4 have bark that is falling off & such--I am sorry to say I cannot post pictures at this time---but does anyone know if this is normal, or do you think there is a problem--we have sprayed with a wound sealer in hopes of helping--but are unsure of our next step?? help--

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #75597 Jun 25th, 2007 at 04:56 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
we planted 4 shade treeshere at our new home, here in 2005. The 2 in the front are definately hard maples. Their name is red sunset or some such (I cannot find the paperwork on them, sorry) and the 2 in back are supposed to be hard maples, but I am skeptical--they are Autumn Blaze maples.
I am having a problem with them---All 4 trees have healthy happy looking limbs & leaves---BUT all 4 have bark that is falling off & such--I am sorry to say I cannot post pictures at this time---but does anyone know if this is normal, or do you think there is a problem--we have sprayed with a wound sealer in hopes of helping--but are unsure of our next step?? help--

DH says to say these trees have areas of cracking & peeling bark on their trunks, from the bottom to mid-way up--and could this be a type of bore, (or what) and what can be done about it?

________

JunieGirl #77083 Jun 26th, 2007 at 06:19 PM
sounds almost as if they've been in a long drought, and the bark has shrunk and peeled away, has it been very dry around those two trees for an extended period?

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well dan, that depends---we waterd them all thru the summer & fall months the last 2 years--I am thinking 15-20 gal. about every other night or so--unless we had a good rain.

________

JunieGirl #77746 Jun 27th, 2007 at 06:30 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
The trees you named are Red Maples. If you are not sure, there are deciduous trees with peeling bark that have maple type leaves. Such as the Sycamore.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #77797 Jun 27th, 2007 at 08:40 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes most definately red maple trees.--the ones in front Hard maple--the back a blend of red/silver maple (Autumn Blaze)--so a soft to medium maple

I have been told perhaps my problem has been caused by the cold snap we had late last spring?? FYI: We had unseasonally warm weather--things started to come out on trees & shrubs, etc.--then we had 1 or 2 ice storms---

i lost a young cherry tree, and a hydrangea then boohoo

________

JunieGirl #78445 Jun 28th, 2007 at 06:18 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have done the research & i think my problem is frost cankers---anybody have a recomendation on what I can do to help these trees out?? or to prevent it for the next season?? why

________

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image