Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#57021 Jun 2nd, 2007 at 05:49 PM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I'm happy to know that I'm not in any trouble, Jiffy. And I'm even happier to see that Brushwood had something that you needed.

Here is a pic of the garden as of this evening. The whole at the bottom of the pic is my pond. Or my pond-to-be. A couple of the plants are misplaced right now--they are waiting for the pond area to be planted and then they'll go in over there. Still having bought a hanging planter and a shepards hook for the sweet potato vine. I was thinking of putting the coleus in the top of the planter too. But I'm not sure on that. What do you ladies think? Ideas or suggestions?

[Linked Image]

I guess it's time to start this in a new thread, it really didn't seem that long though. Thanks for all the help so far, ladies.

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/57013/page/0/fpart/1

Last edited by LandOfOz; Jun 2nd, 2007 at 05:50 PM.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
#57825 Jun 4th, 2007 at 08:01 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I'll be leaving it in the back. I'm hoping it will give the impression of a door--or at least the continuing of space. I think I'll need to so some planting behind it to achieve that effect (the continuing of space). I've already planted the clematis's at the base of it, so now it's just a matter of time before they start going upwards. The soil isn't the best, but I've put on some organic fertilizer and will be adding a little mostly-composted compost to it shortly...

We've been working on the pond a lot this weekend. Dug it out on Saturday after a fishing derby and then leveled the dirt off yesterday, found some rocks to line the driveway with (in our own backyard, can't beat that), bought some snails, the main thing that is holding us up is DH--Mr. Thinker. He just has to wrap his mind around every single little detail and work it out until he's happy. Which is why we hardly ever finish anything. It's supposed to rain on Wed, so we need to have it done by then--otherwise all our sand will just wash in and we'll have a depression instead of a nicely shaped hole.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hope it gets done before the rains come. It's horrible to have to do the same work twice.

If the vine and the coleus have the same requirements i.e. shade/water pH ... then it's ok to put them together. Looks wise I couldn't tell you because I've never seen the vine in bloom. Of course the other question is, is it a twinner. If so you may not want to give it any plants to twine around.

It's comming right along I'm very excited.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Well, it rained last night. Stinkin' weatherman doesn't know anything. However, this was not an issue. Last night, at 9:45, we got the pond filled. Wooohoo! I get to go get "a few" plants this morning and we'll get the fish this evening. The final size is about 5 feet at the widest and longest and 3 feet at the deepest. It is shaped like a christmas stocking that is leaning a little bit, if that makes since. IF not, think a deformed kidney bean. I'll share some pics once it is filled. The only prob is we still don't have rocks to anchor down the liner. I've called everyone on the planet and all they carry is small river rocks, which is not what I want/need. I think it may be time to rob the countryside, which seems a little wrong, but it does have large light-pink rocks, which would look lovely by the pond.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
For those who haven't seen it, here is a pic of my new pond (complete with fish, snails, and plants) and the garden as it is coming along.

[Linked Image]

My cat, enjoying the pond

Close up of nasturtium that will probably have to go 'cause it's in the garden area

That is about it. DH wants to use some large stones, used for edging on the side of the house, to edge the driveway/garden to keep the mulch in. He'll be doing that this weekend and then we'll mulch around the pond and put in the few plants I've got that desperately need to be put in the ground. I may just have to do it and tell him to be careful around them. It's really starting to shape up. We just need some sort of seating near the pond... Don't know what to do about that, yet.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
thumbup i love it!

#62439 Jun 10th, 2007 at 07:57 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
For those searching, here is the second thread. I'll have to post a new pic tomorrow, we've done some planting and mulching, and will be removing a large clump of my beloved phlox. Which reminds me, I need to get that posted on freecycle...

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
It looks really nice!! I really need to get some plants in mine.. I am having water issues. :( I will start a new thread regarding that.

5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Thanks, Pinky. We got the area mulched this evening and also got some plants moved/planted. AND one big difference, we got that nasty pipe on the left painted. I'll get pics tomorrow, once I get the garden-phlox jungle cleared out. It's getting close to being done and I'm getting so excited. And my red bee balm is just starting to bloom, it looks so neat!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
O.k. Sarah, where's the pics? lol I'm impatient.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
#62986 Jun 11th, 2007 at 08:44 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Sorry to keep you waiting, Tamara. I had forgotten all about pics and had been sitting in a collapsible chair watching my fish and planning out everything else.

[Linked Image]

The water garden area will have some of the same dark mulch as the other area has, spread on top of the stuff that is there now, just to keep everything uniform.
[Linked Image]

Beginning to blossom Red Bee balm This is a neato pic, but big, so if you have dialup, you might not want to bother with it.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. This is a lot more fun, having people to show it too and getting feedback. DH just gives me a look and says, "okay, whatever" on anything that isn't directly related to the pond, or him sitting in front of it. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Fantastic Pond. And the garden is shaping up nicely. What a great little garden you are building there.

[Linked Image]
#63368 Jun 11th, 2007 at 02:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Looks wonderful Sarah!

#63369 Jun 11th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Haven't been on the forum much lately so I haven't seen what you've been doing. Wow!!!! your little garden is looking great. Good job!

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
That is soo nice!!! Way to go!! I really like the rocks.. what ARE those?? And the little 'balls' that match them?? It looks great. What kind of plant is that growing in your pond.. the big one? I like it.. You had a shelf though didn't you? See, I don't. :( Oh well.. I am off to shop tomorrow or Saturday for water plants.. hoping to get some floating stuff.. and maybe a lily.. ;)

5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Pinky, the tall plant is a tropicana canna lily. I think that is what it was called. It came in this tiny pot and the thing is continually falling over. It is driving me nuts. Yesterday I got a plant basket and it's HUGE, so maybe it won't fall over. I do have a shelf, but DH thought the fish would like it sloped. And they do, but now I can't keep plants on it, they slide towards the deep end. Hopefully the basket solves that problem.

The rocks are something we got from a field. They are pretty much baked clay. I do have a little problem with them--they aren't "sealed". They easily dissolve in water and after a day or two of raining, I can now barely see a foot down in the water. The reason for the balls is, that is how the water eroded it. We actually found them like that out there. All the rocks have a round tendencies. They are really neat and a great color.

Tammy, Penny, Jessica, Rosepetal, I'm so glad you all like the garden. Thanks for the kind words!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Watch your Canna. They are normally full sun and I think you said your space is shady. But they are very hardy so it might fair very well there. Sometimes plants do the most amazing things.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
My canna was in the only little corner that got sun all day in the pond. But since the wind is continually blowing it over I bought a big plastic pond pot for it and put in a ton of rocks, the canna, more rocks, a waterlily and some anarchis to hide the pot all together. We had some crazy wind, probably 40-50 mph (easily) gusts that were not braced by the house. And it didn't blow over. clap I was so happy! Unfortunately, it now only gets around 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
6 hours should be fine. It sounds like you have a wonderful water garden inside your shade garden. Fantastic.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
5k Posts
wow! sarah looks beauitful!!! ya did a great job

[Linked Image]
sibyl #70961 Jun 20th, 2007 at 06:43 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Thanks, sibyl.

Okay, I"m going to take a minute to vent, then post some pics for you all. I posted on freecycle about my plants and got around 20 replies in just a few hours. I even took the time to put the plants in plastic pots with plenty of dirt and watered thoroughly. I had 2 people come and pick up like they promised. I've got 2 'batches' of plants left and have been stood up by 8 people. They poor plants are dying and looking terrible. It makes me angry. I didn't save these to watch them die. Sheesh. Okay. Thanks!

I thought I'd do these side-by-side to show the difference.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

We just removed all the plants on Friday night and then we've been digging out roots until we found one about 2 feet wide and thought we'd call that good enough. I've got a lot of seeds, stuff like ruby port columbine, pink impatiens, and bleeding hearts that I thought I'd try to grow in this area. We'll see how that does. We're trying to keep all the plants in this area more low-lying, so that way the view of the pond isn't obstructed. Would be nice to find a burgundy creepy phlox... I have a key lime heuchera, maybe I should take cuttings of it and put another one in the new area. Oh, and we'll be getting mulch for the new area also. We just finished laying the driveway-lining stones last night. Well, that's it for now!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I know what you mean about freecycle. It took several tries before we managed to connect so that the people who wanted my items could finally get them. Fortunately not plants so there was no problem with things dying just space limitations lol. You know my small apartment.

What had you dug up? Somehow I missed that post. Just like me isn't it?

I keep looking at that japanese forest grass and I'm really hooked on the one with pink in it. I just don't think I have enough shade to make it happy. It is a great looking plant to me. I really like it.

[Linked Image]
#71361 Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:27 AM
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
It was (all perennial's) yellow yarrow, hot pink garden phlox, blooming purple bee balm, obedient plant, and a lot of tiger lilies, that I freecycled. All were huge and thriving. The phlox looks like it's probably dead but even the stuff I transplanted into other gardens looks terrible.

There is a Japanese forest grass with PINK in it? Really? Google, here I come! I have to see that one. I was thinking of putting some pink or red hydrangeas in there, but I think my summers may be too hot and they get very big, from what I've read.

Okay, now I'm off to find some pink JFG pics.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
#71385 Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:39 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
here is the link it's the one on the bottom. I just think it is cool. Although I love the one you chose as well.

http://www.bigdipperfarm.com/cgi-bin/searchall.pl

[Linked Image]
#71409 Jun 20th, 2007 at 11:49 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
It's coming along nicely.

5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Adam thinks we need a bird bath in the area near the stump, the freshly cleaned out area. I'm not against the idea but I worry attracting birds will lead to my fish becoming birdie-snacks. Also most of the plants are under 3 ft tall, I'm trying to keep everything on a small scale, since it's a small area. We certainly can't have a full-sized bird feeder in there, and a concrete colored one may contrast too much with the pond; although it would match the stones lining the side by the driveway.

Here is the one I'd like to get--it even comes in a terra cotta color (which I'm not sure I'd like) and a weathered bronze (which I'd probably like). Only thing is, I'm not spending $80 on a darn birdbath! There was a rather plain, concrete one at the dreadful Home Depot that Adam fell in love with, ironically right after the associate said it cost 14.97. It's about 2-2.5 feet high, a small, shallow basin and made of concrete. The pedestal is cast poorly--with seams jutting out a good inch in places. The seams look sharp, so we'd have to knock those off first. What do you guys think? It is definitely more in our price range. lol

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
#72798 Jun 21st, 2007 at 05:53 PM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
A hand grinder would smooth up those concrete seams in a minute.

Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. it is so pretty!!! I love the fern in the bottom center of the picture.. and all your other plants have seemed to just flourish. I bet it feels so good driving in to your driveway and having the sight of your new garden and pond greet you!! *sigh* lol

As for the birdbath.. if it were ME, I would go with the one you really like.. even if it is a bit pricey.. you will only have to buy it once.. and if you go with something less.. you will probably always wish you had 'gotten the other one'.. but that is just my way of thinking.

Wonderful job!! wavy

Last edited by Pinkhorseofcourse; Jun 22nd, 2007 at 11:11 PM.
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Well, I think we'll get the cheap bird bath from lowe's. The price is right and it ain't that ugly. I've got the foremost part of the bed cleared out and it just needs to be dug out for roots and then I can plant it. Since I've been paying attention, I've noticed that the entire area from the pond forward gets at least 6 hours of direct sun a day, with the areas closest to the house maybe just shy of that. So I can even put full sun plants out there. Woohoo! I've had my eye on this dahlia at the nursery, it's flowers are about 3 inches wide and look like burgundy velvet. So pretty and now I know exactly where to put it!

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's not going to cover up anything father back is it?

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
We're going to put the birdbath towards the front of the empty bed on the far left. That way, it won't block the view of the pond. DH wants to line it up with the loosestrife that is in the center of the arbor, but I think that is a bad idea and will impede on the view of the pond. We will see where it eventually winds up being put.

I'm also looking for a dwarf hydrangea, or at least a smaller variety, that I can put in the corner, near the porch/house. I don't think I've even posted a pic of this area, it is the very, very front-most part of the garden. Let me see if I can dig one up, if not, I'll just go take one. That way you all can tell me if I'm crazy or not, for wanting to put a hydrangea there.

Last edited by LandOfOz; Jun 26th, 2007 at 03:16 PM. Reason: forgot somethin'

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
They are part shade right? didn't you say the front part of your garden was full sun? Anyway Wayside Gardens just sent me their new catalog and it has some fantasic hydrangeas in it. I don't know if any of them are dwarfs. But it does sound like you are thinking of putting taller plants in front. Of course this makes a great outdoor garden room or secret garden but it seems like this wasn't what you wanted in the beginning.

And I think you are right that putting the birdbath in the center would be bad to many focal points fighting for dominance.

[Linked Image]
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
I recently received the same catalog, Tammy! That is what got me thinking about hydrangeas. Some of them are dwarves and I've got this odd corner that I've got a delphinium in but it is just a weird corner. Something fancy like a small hydrangea would probably work good there. Let me go get a pic. DH is working on removing the roots right now, so forgive me for the messed up dirt/roots. It'll all be flat when he's done this evening.

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
grin Here ya go.

[Linked Image]

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's looking good!!

if you put the birdbath in, how about in that corner right next to the porch? then it wouldn't detract from the pond - and you could add a few plants that have different (and lower as you go along) heights to get the eye moving in a line from the bird bath to the pond. i think it would be visually pleasing - from either the driveway or from the spot where you took the pic from.

hydrangea really need some decent shade in the afternoons...altho, if you do put it in a sunnier spot, it won't be likely to get too big. plus, you can always prune it back to keep it on the smaller side.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #77275 Jun 27th, 2007 at 02:53 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That's right next to the foundation so make sure the roots won't do damage. That has to always be a consideration when planting bushes close to the house. The other question is the roofline at that point. Will you have a dripline coming down from the roof in that area? If all that is good then if it is shady enough I would say go for it. They certainly are pretty plants.

The dahlias get 4 to 5 feet tall from what I understand so they would definitely block the street from seeing the anything behind them in the garden when they are in bloom. Although they are pretty enough in their own right that it shouldn't matter.

It's just a matter of choice really. My concern was that you were doing this for curb appeal so when you sell the house it will draw people in to look at the house. If you put tall things in front of what you already have they won't see them from the curb.

It's way early in the morning so I may not be making very good sense.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
what Tammy says is true:

Keep in mind the big picture. You should visualize what these plants you want to use will look like at maturity--not right now, when you are doing the work. So many people, when they do their "lanscaping" & "flower gardens", work so hard and have them looking really nice when they are done---BUT after all the plants mature, the area in question is all overgrown & is not nice at all.

So I say have the area look sparce now, so when the plants grow to full size, you will still be happy with your choices.

and from what I can see your original area looks real nice, Sarah.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
5k Posts
OP Offline
5k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl
So many people, when they do their "lanscaping" & "flower gardens", work so hard and have them looking really nice when they are done---BUT after all the plants mature, the area in question is all overgrown & is not nice at all.

So I say have the area look sparce now, so when the plants grow to full size, you will still be happy with your choices.

and from what I can see your original area looks real nice, Sarah.

I am going for a sparse look, I actually was planning for the size of the mature plants, which is an unusual amount of thinking and forethought for me. For this garden I don't want any plants touching. I prefer cottage gardens but just not right here. I did some research into the hydrangeas and although I love them, they just are not going to work. The "scheme" I'm going with is all tall plants are skinny and all short plants are bushy. Hydrangea is tall and bushy and therefore wouldn't work. I think it would throw the visual weight of the area off too.

Dahlias get to 4-5 feet tall? Oh, that is much too big for my garden. Since it is a small space, I'm using a small scale, and I don't think anything over 3 ft would work. Well, shucks, there goes that plant!!

Thanks for the compliments and advise! I really like my garden thus far. And we are almost done. Adam got all the roots out last night, so all that is left is lining the drive and sidewalk with rocks and then pulling over some mulch, topping off with the good-looking, store bought mulch, and some plants! I wonder if my local nurseries have a burgundy daylily, that would be about perfect for the area, wouldn't it?

Sarah - Zone 5b/6
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes,I like day lillies and I am partial to deep colors as well--good choice!!

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
#80701 Jul 1st, 2007 at 10:32 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Wow.. it is so nice.. you have come so far!!! Congrats!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image