Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi! I had recently bought a pot of periwinkle on the recommendations of the supplier that it is relatively easy to care for and that it can be placed either in partial sun or sunny spot. I can't seem to find more information specific to periwinkle (such as special care and how to keep the blooms long lasting etc) on the web or on this site. Could anyone help me with this?

I'm also thinking of having plants in planter boxes placed in my 11th storey apartment balcony. the spot is always brightly lit but there is no strong direct sunlight. I live in Singapore where humidity and temperatures are high. Could anyone also suggest what kind of plants I should grow? I would prefer those that are more than just green in colour i.e. have brightly coloured flowers. :) pls help!

500 Posts
500 Posts
Periwinkle is also known as Myrtle, a much less pretty name, but you'll get more info googling that. Various hoyas should do well. Mostly they have green leaves with some kind of speckles or variegation, some have redish or amber tints. Some flower quite easily and some of the flowers smell very nice. Which ones are best? I don't really know, but the folks at these sites have helped me select a nice bunch for my conditions.
http://www.paulshirleysucculents.nl/
http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AH.php
Is it always hot and humid or does it cool off in the winter? (I suspect my idea of hot and your idea of cool could be very similar!)

May God bless the WHOLE world!
perrywinkle or myrtle is a ground cover that has pretty purple flowers it's a great thing to grow where nothing else will gro like around rocks or under trees or near a foundation but it will take over so don't plant it in a flower bed or near where you want the soild to be easily worked, because it will soon form a tough mat of growth, but it is beautiful!

I know someone will be kind enough to correct me, but I thought periwinkle was vinca. Mine grows full sun, as well as a few with part sun (AM). Both do very well, though the one in full sun is in it's second year and doing very well.

By the way, with stong indirect sunlight and high humidity, orchids should do well. And what a glorious show! Easier than one would think to care for.

Julianne
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
vinca is periwinkle, but there is also a flower that is called periwinkle that isn't vinca. what it is escapes me right now.

OP Offline
the average temperature here in Singapore is usually in the range of 24-32 degree Celsius. we have summer here throughout the year. no distinct 4 seasons but more rainfall in the months of Nov/Dec-Jan period. most Orchid species do very well here but I was told that orchids look nicer as a potted plant rather than in planter boxes (esp when my box cannot be too big and i can only end up having 2 orchid plants in the box, which would look very er...funny?)

OP Offline
btw, my periwinkle seems to have some problems these 2 days! the leaves started to show signs of limpness. I thought that it is due to lack of water becoz i had not watered it since I got it a few days ago. I checked the soil and that the surface was dry but beneath it was still cool and a bit moist. Nvertheless, I gave it some water and also moved it to a sunnier spot (next to the window but still no direct strong sun) and guess what? The leaves looked better but the pink flowers turned pale and look more like bleached pink instead of the usual bright pink! Can anyone tell me if I have done anything wrong here? I have shifted the plant back to the original spot where is shadier. I suspect the sun might have something to do with the bleached looking flowers.

I also noticed that the flowers bloom fast but wilt fast too. each flower will like, last for 2 days? and there are always new blooms each day. Is that a usual characteristic of periwinkle?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image