Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#68909 Jun 18th, 2007 at 08:59 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Okay, I've got various insects etc. eating various plants in my garden. For starters, my wonder egg plants had minute black bugs running around on the leaves yesterday as well as on my dinnerplate hibiscus. What are they, and, do they pose a problem? Could that be eating my wonder plants or other plants?

One of my dinnerplates are being ravished by something. I'm thinking slugs. What else besides slugs eat dinnerplate hibiscus? Seems every time I hose, something flys out of some plant or other.

I snapped a pic of what I think is a white moth. Identify please?

[Linked Image]

Would the white moth be responsible for eating my chinese lantern plant as well? (that is happening also)

Do you think more than one insect is eating on these plants? why Sorry for the amount of questions rolz but I want ya'll to get the whole picture.

yep. it's a moth.

ShadyLadyMN #70758 Jun 20th, 2007 at 04:06 AM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Sure looks like a moth....
Doesn't mean it eats plants though.
Assume most bugs and insects to be non plant eating. If you have an infestation, and you're not sure what's doing it, take a shot of the damage.
Chances are if it is eating your plants it is also good at hiding. The bugs you do see are possible predators and should be encouraged if this is the case. Identify the problem before acting or you may do more harm than good.

The secret is the soil.
Longy #71128 Jun 20th, 2007 at 08:36 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Identification of Chewing and Sucking Insects

Check "Flea Beetles"...that might be the insect you are looking for.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
ShadyLadyMN,thanks

Longy, hummm. So, in essence, the white moth may be eating what's eating my leaves? I'll need to take pics of the leaves to show you then.

papito, uhuhh not flea beetles, thank God. Thanks for the link on sucking insects.

Others?

papito #76034 Jun 25th, 2007 at 10:06 AM
Papito--I was just reading this thread, and saw your link to insects. You've helped me identify the flea beetles in my Datura plant. Thanks!

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Last night at ll:00 p.m. touched I found the culprit on one of the dinnerplate hibsicus.

AN IO MOTH CATERPILLAR. I had seen several during the day recently, but away from the plants. Aw hw, now I know what's eating my hibiscus. Would they be eating my Chinese Lantern leaves as well? rolz

I have to concur, its a moth

1k Posts
1k Posts
Originally Posted by floweringchild
Last night at ll:00 p.m. touched I found the culprit on one of the dinnerplate hibsicus.

AN IO MOTH CATERPILLAR. I had seen several during the day recently, but away from the plants. Aw hw, now I know what's eating my hibiscus. Would they be eating my Chinese Lantern leaves as well? rolz

Yes they possibly are. If the damage is minimal, i wouldn't worry about it. You can remove them by hand when you see them.

The secret is the soil.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
katzgar and longy, thanks. I try to keep up with what eats my plants. I hate to use harsh chemicals and don't do that.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image