Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I grow B&B salvia & a annual in some areas,but hardy annual for me Forest fire salvia& 3 Yovonne's salvia.Then got this pale blue sage that comes up in early spring.it looks good in mass,but hubby ruined the bed it did that in.so I just dump seeds in new spots yearly(only blooms once badday )My B&B does the best.I have no evergreen ones or the tropicals(lost the pineapple)or any fall bloomers.oh and got some Lady in red from fall/spring seed swap.It just seems different than the lady in red I grew before(yep.hubby)But its filling in nicely.

This shows bed I thinned last week& 2 pictures showing how you trim down so you always got blooms.(I've learned the bees won't attack me for trimming,but sure got scared when bee landed on hand.I'm allergic)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A butterfly on B&B salvia and 1 of the 3 Youvonne's salvia(which had to be WS.did not reseed the 1st year.got 2 seeds out of trade to produce.not over 18-20 inches.)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1st canna bloom in March with B&B already blooming.I moved some B&B from backside of same bed to this spot was like 4 pieces.I'm going to move some under my bud light beer chimes.they'll match shots
[Linked Image]

Guess I've not shot no pic this year of forest fire.I messed up and pulled the plants when cleaning the beds in Feb.I didn't realize my plants we're re sprouting...so had to wait on the seeds to do their thing.I had one salsa series return...and screwed up and pulled it....guess the other 5 got lost.soeed some blue bedder seeds.didn't grow.
So whats everyone else grow?

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I have the B&B salvia, Salvia leucantha (Mexican Bush Sage), Salvia guaranitica Argentine Skies, Salvia plumosa, Pineapple Sage, Savia May Night, Salvia pratensis, and Clary Sage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

\ I only have the red sage salvia---But I do really like it.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I thin kthe old house owners left us a salvia...purple with a large upper lip like petal on the flowers...square stem!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
My Lady in red with white cleome,red spider zinnia & a few red ceosia that are actually fushia.JMG will be blue.
flowers/June192007RWBladyinredsalviawhitecl.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Forest fire salvia
flowers/June192007forestfiresalvia.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I've seen a picture of plumosia.It looks really nice.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
This is the blue that stayed evergreen and would bloom early like in Feb early March.It looked good with the rose on fence and the society garlic.

flowers/Bluesalvia-evergreen.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

I'd love this one back.

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I don't know what that one was.I bought a victoria blue salvia yesterday as a early BD present,the blooms look close to that color but are not that light.I turned down indigo spiers& a pot marked 2 things..hot pink autuam sage&wild thing salvia.I agree it was a sage,but its flowers looked larger than my red autuam sage.i turned down a pot of mixed salvia....cause it was blooms only.the foliage was burnt scortched what have ya.it wasn't there& it was brown.
Now if just knew what my lost one was?I loved the lighter color& wish had a better picture.this was the close up one& was blooming in January(the reason notheing is growing around it in that picture.)

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Here are 2 shots from spring 2005.It got lost after May sometime.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It could be indigo spires.Mystic spires has came out since I lost mine and its reported to stay compact.These farinacea can tolerate some frost,but in some areas will die back and retun from root.I didn't get lucky on the root,nor did it reseed.But This type comes true from seed.Is a white form also

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
My spring once bloomer is salvia sonomensis a creeping blue once bloomer for spring.I get hummers on it,but are few then.

This is what it looks like.I'll have to search through my albulms.
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/616.htm

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
Here is SIL purple volcano.Hers is bigger than mine& looks better too.

[Linked Image]

njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
here's that one I bought.
victoria
flowers/aug62007victoriasalvia.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
thumbup

here is my very different salvia.

Blue/black perennial......Takes longer to bloom but I sure think it is cool.
Came back 2 years in a row........
Anyone know anything about it ??
Thanks for looking......

And I loved everyone above mine's too.

b

[Linked Image]

PS......You can also see my red salvia in the lower left corner.
I have those 2
and arrow salvia
lady in red salvia
nymph..........so cute

Last edited by dodge; Aug 7th, 2007 at 08:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I grow that one.I'm starting to spread my original out in other beds.I've moved some to the bright side of my shade bed.I think in june sometime& its blooming again right now.I cut it back to 4 inches when I moved it.Its about 12 inches,but I expected it to grow back in slow.I moved some of my forestfire(preforms as hardy annual) to this bed.I know it can still bloom in shade cause the bed its groing in is crowded and some of it IS growing shaded by all the tall plants so have been takeing some out...

Your B&B when the stems finished blooming snip the bloom so the other 2 stalks on each side will come in faster.It will bloom better if keep the spent flowers off.Its a hummer magnet& bees.My seedling brugmansia grows through the original clump(which is spreading about 2 ft wide& creeping more all the time& 6-8 ft long)I've had mine as long as you.I cut mine back& starting in feb sometime when it starts to show some growth,I'll cover that on cold nights or from frost.Its not worth collecting seeds off this one.few will come true& the plants are not as fast growing.I think they grow better in acidic soil.

I've returned lady in red,but got some from someone whos plants looked real good.it does seem to grow better than my old lady in red so ripped it out and have just the good one now.It gave me a stalk with some white in the flower,the other stem beside it and part of it is solid red though still.hopefully can get these other seeds.I don't really have a white salvia in my yard.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
shock

Thanks for the info.

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
njoynit Offline OP
2k Posts
OP Offline
2k Posts
I bought the blue yesterday...no tag so is either victoria or indigo spires

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
cat

I love the salvias
I put some in a large pot and made my brother a setting for his garage.
Oh is it nice.......Red against the garage.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image